sandstone woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just repointed my garden wall, 7' high Victorian brick, about 30 yards long. Some task I can tell you. The problem I have now is that there are sandstone coping stones on top of it all. In a few palces they have crumbled away down to a depth of 4-5''. I am trying to restore them and am looking for some advice.
I have thought of a couple of plans...I have collected all the loose material and I thought about building it up with cement, dyed red, and pressing the collected loose sand into the wet cement. Alternatively, build up with cement and mix the loose stuff with waterproof pva and "skim" over the surface.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Using opc (cement) based mortars to repair sandstone is probably not a good idea. It may be better to coat the weathering surface with a decent water repellent.

I plan to coat all the wall and the coping stones in waterseal when it is finished. I need to build up the worn down bit first and I am trying to get it to match in with the rest of the copes.
Not sure what weatherstruck pointing is, I rubbed down all the joints to leave the surface of the bricks a few mil proud.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back