saniflo problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help me? I am in a brand new house which has a saniflo system in the lower ground floor. This houses 2 separate saniflo pumps. One for an ensuite and one for a utility room. My first question is about the ensuite. Is it right that when I fill the sink and then let it drain all the water comes up the shower plug hole? The toilet is obviously on the same pipe run and although very little I have noticed small amounts of excrement in the shower tray. This makes me feel sick. Surely this is not how it should be? Also when having a shower you have to stand in about an inch of water before the pump kicks in? I have the house builders coming tomorrow to rectify the utility room and address about 100 other snagging issues and I need the plumber to look at the ensuite too. I would like to be armed with some facts before they arrive. Can anyone advise? Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
No need to put everything in bold - its hard to read and annoying - just like Saniflo instructions actually.

2 Saniflos in one house? Blimey those builders really didn't like their customers and I am sure local building control will be interested - they certainly shouldn't have signed anythin that lets cr ap into the shower tray.

These units have been installed incorrectly and the whole lot wil need changing round.

Thanks Dan. Sorted the "bold" too!

I know nothing about saniflos at all.We weren't even told the house had one before we bought it.We have heard since that someone thinks they just made a monumental cock up with the sewage pipes/system and had to get saniflos in for all the houses that had lower ground floors.

After your reply and reading other posts on saniflos my stomach is doing cartwheels! This was not a cheap house! Even if I can get this ensuite sorted out am I in for years of trouble do you think?

What are the main problems with saniflo and why did you balk at us having two?

Your situation is not that simple!

A Saniflow is fine as long as its not on the only toilet in the house. Your guests and visitors and your family will have to learn to use them carefully and not put things into them which they cannot digest. Hotels put up a notice but not everyone reads them!

Sorting out your shower is not that easy at all! The Saniflow should have been fitted below the level of the shower to ensure there were no problems. That would usually mean having a recess in the floor or a raised shower! Easy when being built but difficult later.

Part of the problem is that the manufacturer's instructions dont make some of these things very clear as their sales departments want them to appear very easy to fit anywhere.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Two of anything unreliable is concerning, that being said that as long as you treat them with respect and don't throw silly things down them; give them a regular clean with the proper chemicals (Saniflo do their own product) then I wouldn't panic. Never throw cotton buds, "lady's products" or anything else that has not left your or anyone elses body into the loo.

You do however need to get the installation sorted though, and if it is a new build then you have the 10 year warranty thing on your side - just keep onto them and keep exact records of meetings, problems, solutions agreements etc. They have alsmost certainly installed various things into the waste system the wrong way round; and it sounds like the one-way flappers inside the saniflo are not colsing/in position. Why the shower doesn't drain is a mystery if it has been fitted to the saniflo properly - the unit should be able to cope with the showers flow rate. A bit of pipe tracing and inspecting the inside of the macerator is needed - but make sure you put the lid back of PROPERLY. Don't do what I did once - not clip it on fully then turn the power on :eek: :mad: :oops:

It sounds like they have really ballsed up the project if they have installed Saniflos in a new build. They are a necessary evil in some retrofits - but in new? There should be no need - IMHO!

Saniflo have their own team of service people who can help with future troubles.

Thanks for all your help.

From measurements my husband has made and looking on saniflos site he thinks the shower tray is low enough - sorry HIGH enough - duh!. I think it must be these valves/flappers. Although I think we have multiple faults.

Personally am furious that we have saniflo at all! Oh how I wish I could turn back the clock!

I haven't really tested the one in the utility room except from using the sink. I have no washing machine yet. Why? Because the builders built the whole utility room so badly there is not enough room to put appliances in. Hence the fact that finally 3 months after moving in they are coming back tomorrow to knock down walls and rebuild it properly

I will let you know what their verdict is on the ensuite asap.!

Keep us posted with devlopments!

The shower needs to be ABOVE the Saniflow for it to work properly.

These problems you are having is the exact reason why I will never buy a house less than 50 years old. They haven't had all the problems sorted until then. I tried explaining this to honourable father-in-law once; but gave up and took him to a local new-build site; then took him round our new (90 year old) house, then to my father's 400-or-so year old house.

He got the point. :idea:

krazykatz said:
I am in a brand new house which has a saniflo system in the lower ground floor. The toilet is obviously on the same pipe run and although very little I have noticed small amounts of excrement in the shower tray. This makes me feel sick. Thanks
and me :mad: Name and Shame them and tell them you`ll do that on "a DIY website"and they`ll have half the country`s PROPER builders laughing @ them .......mention Watchdog and "House of Horrors" too :evil:

Most "fun" I ever had was cleaning my girlfriends tampon out of a saniflow. Shes my wife now and the experience has brought us closer together!

I take it you are well within the first 2 years warranty where the builder is reponsible for everything.

As others have said, create hell and shame them where ever you can, inform NHBC, if that will do any good.

Saniflos are ok as long as no on cr aps down them :eek:

Vinno said:
Most "fun" I ever had was cleaning my girlfriends tampon out of a saniflow. Shes my wife now and the experience has brought us closer together!

Putting something like that in a Saniflow is grounds for divorce!

Tony

Hi all!

Latest news is there have been no valves fitted at all in the saniflo! Numpties!!!
So we are hopefully getting all that fixed? The emphasis being on the word hopefully!

The bad news is there are so many other major snagging issues with the house they don't really know where to start first.

Another buyer on the site has been moved out of their house for at least 2 weeks as there are so many things needing fixed.

So if you don't hear from me, you'll know where I am.....................................................................................................

In my view its not adequate to operate a saniflow with a shower tray on the level.

I know that I have one that does that! I know and put up with the level in the shower rising until the pump turns on.

But then I would never fit one like that for anyone else. Thats no problem as I dont fit them for anyone else anyway.

Tony

At least things are moving foryou.

When you say these pillocks didn't fit the valves - do you mean hte flappers in the saniflo's? 'cos they're factory fitted usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back