Sash window not staying up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have what I believe is a sash window (the sliding up and down wooden ones), after taking up a tenancy on a first floor office. The window doesn't stay up and is quite heavy so have to jam something underneath to keep it open. Looks as if a rope on the right side has torn away.

What is the process to get this fixed and how much would it typically cost. Based in Hertfordshire.

Sponsored Links
Can see the string / rope has snapped on the right side

Attachments

• 64F6F384-13FB-45A6-82D6-A9E7F4091503.png
    64F6F384-13FB-45A6-82D6-A9E7F4091503.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
You say it's a tenancy so you have a landlord? Check your tenancy agreement, it's possibly/probably their responsibility to get the window repaired if faulty, not yours.

Good point, will check thanks.

From a technical point, what generally goes wrong with these windows in this way?

Sponsored Links
Is the top sash fixed or sliding? Is the complete window assembly timber or plastic?
If the answer is timber then you need to find a carpenter and joiner who understands Box Sash windows as there is an amount of deconstruction to do. Make sure the pulleys run freely.
If the window is plastic then probably/possibly your commom window fitter may know how to solve the problem.

If you think repairs are your responsibility* ask at a local glass suppliers for their recommendations on a suitable person/company to do the repair to a "Wooden Box Sash" window - it does seem to be a modern south of England thing to call the opening (sub)frame of all windows 'sashes'.
*Quite possible with a commercial let.

edit :- text in red to clarify which type of window needs repairing.

Last edited:
Do not rely on the pic in Post #5. Some Joinery details & names of parts are missing or plain wrong as anyone experienced in joinery would have instantly seen.
The pic shows a US frame.

OP, with best practice you would have to release/remove the top sash to replace the cord.
You really need to get a joiner to do the job - if its an old box frame then both sashes should be removed & worked on at the same time eg. replace all cords.

Costs, who knows - anything from £100 - £200/hour min a half day.

FWIW: making a box sash frame and sashes from rough sawn timber, using only hand tools, used to be an assessment test during the C&J City & Guilds craft course. Maybe it still is?

Without looking at my lease again, which was only negotiated two months ago, it is a full repairing lease which means I have to cover everything internally. I might check with the landlord in the coming months

If it’s going to cost more than a few hundred pounds, which it clearly sounds alike it will, I’ll probably just give it a miss and that poor bottle of whatever, will just have to get squashed many more times in the years to come.

The outline in the link will give you an idea of the work involved. Please note the edit to my previous posting above. I'd expect the cost to repair one window in London by a 'one man band' C&J not more than £500 for a full day including parts and parking.

Last edited:
Do not rely on the pic in Post #5. Some Joinery details & names of parts are missing or plain wrong as anyone experienced in joinery would have instantly seen.
Oh dear Tell,

I do bow to your superior joinery experience!
And I must apologise to the OP for providing the simplest image I could quickly find, to demonstrate the point, that they have answered their own question. The cord snapping has probably got something to do with the window not staying open, but given my lack of joinery knowledge, I'm probably wrong there as well!
I must also apologise for the picture containing merely five words, all of which are just plain wrong!

Thank you for showing me the errors of my ways! ;)

FWIW: making a box sash frame and sashes from rough sawn timber, using only hand tools, used to be an assessment test during the C&J City & Guilds craft course. Maybe it still is?
When did you do your C+G in carpentry/ joinery then tell.? Do tell, and what's the difference between UK/US box sashes. ?

Post #11,
Yes, you are ignorant of joinery but well quick at googling - too quick maybe.
You post very bad posts.
But do a very good grovel.
So, apparently you are experienced at something?

BTW: there are six words - not five. Neither does "some" mean "all".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back