Sash window weights clashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im restoring a large sash window.

K’s

The weights are a square cross section and when one comes down it can clash with the other weight.

Is there anything cleaver you are meant to do to prevent this.

My other windows have round cross section weights

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. Will study that.

They clash where the hatch is.
And the hatch is Meant to assess both weights. So you can’t have that wood that far down.

AndyPRK, good evening.

A square section sash weight is a wee bit unusual, I cannot recall seeing one ?

Can I suggest you contact Architectural Salvage yards and see what is available?

As an aside? some / most sash weights are stamped with the weight [In Lbs.] you may have to weigh a square weight to get 2 of equal mass??

If the "pocket" of the sash is narrow, then frequent "clashes" can occur, rounded or bullet shaped weights will bounce off each other, the square section you have will simply jamb up ?

I can recall in a School in Edinburgh there was a very large staircase window, each sash had 2 weights each side per sash so there were 4 weights in pocket, they were all bullet ended, no clashes even with the two weights of a lower sash "bouncing" because of the rounded tops deflected past the top sash.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. I think they are square section to get maximum weight.

These ones aren’t stamped with weight.

Other ones in the house are

Are the weights hitting each other at the "pocket" where you access the weights? if so then the length of rope is excessive on both top and bottom sashes

Ken.

A couple things?

1/. I have never seen the division ply "Wagtail??" on any sashes i have worked on or indeed seen this "Wagtail" in any technical books that I have read?

2/. It sounds like the top sash rope is too long?

Ken.

Thanks for the link. Will study that.

They clash where the hatch is.
And the hatch is Meant to assess both weights. So you can’t have that wood that far down.

The wagtail comes down to the pocket. It has to finish below the top of the weight at its lowest point.
Are you sure its nit sbagging on the top edge of the pocket?

The wagtail is made of thin ply and hanging loose so that it can be pushed out of the way to get the top sash weights out.

Cast round weights were common, modern ones are often square.
Weights for double glazed sashes are usually lead or solid steel.

I wanted to clarify that when both sashes are up, should the weights be level?
Is that the way it’s normally done?

Interestingly one side is ok!

This window hasn’t be touched in 55 years

Yeah I saw it hitting the weight today.
Though I was blaming the hatch over the past few days.

Notch7.

A question, it is a long, long time since I re-roped a sash window. over 35 years? [time passes fast when you are having fun?]

Is the "Wagtail" a relativity new progression? or is it restricted to certain types of such windows.

As posted I have never come across such a thing??

Ken.

I wanted to clarify that when both sashes are up, should the weights be level?
Is that the way it’s normally done?

Interestingly one side is ok!

This window hasn’t be touched in 55 years

Yeah I saw it hitting the weight today.
Though I was blaming the hatch over the past few days.

The weight position is normally 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom.

The only rules are that weight stops before the pulley and stops before the bottom cill in the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back