sash windows - damage caused by balance screw (inc. photo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
First post on here - what a fantastic resource

just wondered if anyone could advise me regarding some new sashes we've just had made.

When the carpenter fitted the balances, the screw that holds the balance into the rebate has split both horns on just about every window.

I told him I wasn't happy with the splits in the horns only to be told that I was "nitpicking". He has smoothed a bit of frame sealer over the cracks and says that's good enough........

opinions please?? thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not much you can do apart from remove the sashes and fill the split with glue and cramp over night.

Andy

yeah that what I thought.... will be difficult to get glue in without opening the split up more though......
I'm worried about leaving them as they are cos surely the(upwards) force of the balance will cause the spit to worsen in time??
am I overreacting in trying to get the joiner to sort em? doesn't seem right to me when they've only just been made.....

Did not think the balances would go that far down

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic(s) of the whole w/frame opening?

difficult to get a pic of outside because of conservatory below it but here are some inside pics and one of a downstairs window that has the same problem (its just the sashes that are new - the frames are original)

I can post photos of any specific bits you want to see....

thanks for the input fellas

Thanks for the pics.

Perhaps the spiral balance is the wrong length for the stiles, and the error is compounded by using the c/w screws in a too deep slot?
There seems to be two screw tips protruding.

You could also benefit from some brass pull handles.

Perhaps, take out a lower sash, and examine it to see if the split continues up the stiles?

The split has developed into a crack that has opened up the bottom rail to stile joint.

dann09: I think you might be looking at two screw holes that you can see just below the horn ( in the frame ). The joiner put a couple of screws in to hold the top sash up for a while - there were no balances in em for a few months between him making and installing them, and then coming back to fit the balances

got some pull handles too, I was waiting to resolve the above mentioned gripes before fitting them

cheers dann09

all in all, do I have reason to be concerned about said splits/cracks?

If you can't get a stainless / brass screw in from the back, consider using elastic type car body filler to plug the crack.....sets really quick, easy to sand and no shrinkage. You do need to prevent water ingress if you can.
John :)

If you can't get a stainless / brass screw in from the back

great idea - could get them put straight back into frames so no need to clamp overnight/board up with ply etc.....

just gutted it needs doing in the first place

Nope, the two screw tips i'm referring to are in the horn split itself. One screw may have opened the stile, but the second screw would have caused the split that we see.

Car body filler wont work - when the wood swells and shrinks the filler will fall out.

Replace the screws in the horn with smaller screws, and fill the split with a first class wood glue.
Then, drill pilot holes followed by screws from the hidden side of the horn that will pull the horn together.

No clamping needed.

In a perfect world all the split sashes should be replaced and finished to a better standard than shown in the pics, and the balances replaced, but that might not happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back