Satisfactory Roofing Work ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm just after a bit of advice here. We had roofers in to replace our ridge tiles and 'sort' the base of the chimney to prevent leaking into the stack and bedroom ceilings. They were also meant to fix any loose or slipped tiles. I don't think they've completed on this last bit which I mentioned to them at the time but the 'guy' was all well its an old roof they struggled to do the ridge tiles etc. but any problems just let me know. We do have a five year guarantee from him an t was all through the books. So my question is am I just being too fussy thinking it all should've been done, should I see how it goes and get him back if we do find the area leaking? I'm putting a picture of the area below.

Cheers...Chris
upload_2015-9-5_11-32-38.png

Sponsored Links
The question is " How Much did he charge for the work" no one can say that is a fair days work with out knowing what the cost was in the end

Thanks for the reply Boss. 2k (ex vat for the replacement of existing ridge tiles for reclaimed interlocking ones (about 47) and then 'sorting' the stack (which may have stopped the leak) and then to 'sort any potential leaks, i.e. slipped missing tiles. To be fair I've mentioned all this to him again and they are coming out first thing Monday to discuss/sort.

Sponsored Links
How long were they working on the roof, did this include cost of scaffold etc?
Must admit going by the photos there does not seem a lot of repair work went on. !

Is that grass growing inbetween the tiles in the first picture ?

No grass, some ivy though which I need to sort. They had 2 sets of scaffold and were onsite from 08:00 - 14:30 ish with 3 blokes.

ummm are you saying they brought their own scaffold towers. Sounds a bit steep looks like they have stuck a bit of muck in some holes around the chimney, Being generous the ridge tiles might have cost £500, even charging £200 per man per day. I would say that's OTT not to mention they haven't done the slates.
Were those repairs on the roof already done.
On that section in the first picture I can count about 30 missing or slipped slates and to be honest that probably indicates the roof is shot, so not surprised they didn't want to go near it

I know nothing about roofs, but if it were mine and I had shot flashings, knackered ridges and lots of slippage/broken tiles, I would be saving hard for a new roof. Anything else is putting off the evil day.

I would also be hiring proper, recommended tradesmen to complete the work - not tinkers.

Well I got 3 quotes from a referral agency and everything seemed to check out ok. I wouldn't pay up straight away but we had a bad leak which they came out and sorted. They did give a five year guarantee. I was prepared for a new roof but was told it would last another couple of years by which time I'll have money to fix it. Just want to find a really good roofer by then!

Sponsored Links
Back