sauna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wiring a sauna 26 m away from the mains.do i need to put an isolator next to the sauna supply (a control panel) or can i come straight from the mcb. do i need an r c d

Sponsored Links
Simon,

If the control panel has it's own isolator ie door interlocked/master on off that isolates the supply then no, if not then you need one. As for the RCD what does the manufacture recommend?

I presume it is powering a heating element to produce the steam so it will need a local D.P. isolator. (see BS7671 regulation 554-05-03)

RF did you have that regulation tucked away in the back of your mind ? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I'm note sure if we are talking about the control or the heater. If the heater is wired directly into the control panel as a package and the control panel has it's own DP isolator and DP controls I would have thought that would meet 554-05-03?

I've not got a copy of the regs to hand so I'm going by memory which is not always up to scratch

If the controller has an integral DP isolator then it is unnessecary to fit an additional isolator. I have only ever fitted one controller for a steam room so I am no expert, but the one I fitted was a glorified shower with no built in isolator.

Not sure if a RCD is actually required but it would be a good idea if there isn't one already.

If fitting a seperate RCD anyway then you could use it as the local isolating switch (provided its located outside the steamroom) and kill two birds with one stone.

It was the use of the words "control panel" in the OP that lead me to believe that this one could be more than glorified shower but who knows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back