Scaffold Boards - are these ok and safe to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought some new old stock scaffold boards. I've never had or used scaff boards before so not sure what is acceptable or cause for concern.

One of the boards has a lip along the entire length. A couple of others have a similar lip but it is a lot less pronounced. Curious also as to what causes it? To begin with I thought they must be two separate lengths joined, but on closer inspection that doesn't seem to be the case. Here's a couple of photos of the worse one:

IMG_20220726_112542977.jpg

IMG_20220726_112642026.jpg

One of the other boards has a more severe but much short split at one end. Here's some photos of that one, top middle and underside:

IMG_20220726_112704293.jpg

IMG_20220726_112715638.jpg

IMG_20220726_112737928.jpg

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Use them as boards... To bridge between towers to form a platform. And also to access above a lean to roof.

Ta

How far will the unsupported spans be?

Edit. a quick google suggests that 38mm boards should be supported at every 4 foot. The 63mm boards can be supported at every 2.5m

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
One of the boards has a lip along the entire length. A couple of others have a similar lip but it is a lot less pronounced. Curious also as to what causes it? To begin with I thought they must be two separate lengths joined, but on closer inspection that doesn't seem to be the case.
The lips are just machining (planing) marks. The galvanised straps at the ends are designed to both protect the ends of the scaff planks and mitigate minor splitting (yours is minor)

Use them as boards... To bridge between towers to form a platform. And also to access above a lean to roof.
I often use boards between towers but put them on top of ladders spanning the gap
Technically you are not supposed to use towers as a means of access to anything like a staging board (e.g. a Youngman board). I know people do, but that's the official (PASMA) position. Either way, I'm never keen on accessing anything at height without an adequate fixed hand rail, so I prefer a Youngman board (which are designed to accommodate clip-on hand rails, brickboards, etc). TBH sounds more like the sort of job a cherry picker could do - but then those require harness training...

How will you mitigate the risk of them sliding/etc?
You need to secure them in some way. On conventional steel scaffolding the scaff boards are held in place with scaff board clips. The OP will need to come up with something which replicates that to tie the boards to the towers, but TBH I think the towers also needs to be tied-in to the building temporarily, as well as being assembled using flat feet as opposed to using locking castors (these feet can be spiked into the ground and in any case are a lot less likely to move on rough ground, tarmac. slopes, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that's really helpful. Perhaps when I have a plan as to how I'll secure the boards, and how I'll tie the tower into building, I can come back to see if I'm along the right track...

Cheers

A clue: think along the lines of Rawl anchors with eyebolts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back