Scam

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel very proud of myself.

I have just received a telephone call from an Indian-sounding person who assures me that my computer is open to attack from hackers. Initially, I played the innocent and told her that my computer was not turned on yet. This took a good five minutes to turn on (I did warn her that it was very slow these days). She then wanted me to perform several procedures on my computer in order to resolve the 'problem', which I pretended to do but, strangely, nothing seemed to go as she expected. In fact, at one point my screen 'went black' and I had to re-start it again. From time to time, whilst 'waiting for my computer to respond', I asked her if she knew which version of Windows I am running and other salient points but, of course, she told me she didn't know that information.

After the best part of half-an-hour, and appearing to have made no progress at all, she seemed to have hung up. Such a shame that she couldn't spend a little longer sorting out my 'problem', especially as I am at a bit of a loose end at the moment and would have loved to have continued the charade.

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Got one yesterday, which the missus answered. She just told them "We don't have a computer." ,,,, click brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If I was busy and in a bad mood, I'd just blow a whistle down the line as loudly as I could.

Mind you, I suppose that would be contravening their human rights.

Sponsored Links
If I was busy and in a bad mood, I'd just blow a whistle down the line as loudly as I could.

exactly what i do but i talk in a very quiet voice for about 2 mins so they turn the volume up on there headsets :D :cool:

exactly what i do but i talk in a very quiet voice for about 2 mins so they turn the volume up on there headsets :D :cool:

Good advice.

You can tell that guy was aware of this sort of thing by his keyboard.

I bet he had this all planned ready for them to call.

I wish they'd call me. lol

What I've done before when being rung up by people selling conservatories is ask (after about 20-30 minutes of really keen sounding interest) "How do you get me a conservatory when I have a flat?" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Often get these calls some from local telephone numbers, strange there is no way to report them, they are not covered by the TPS, the ICO or it seems by the police who while they will take details for their statistics, they are not interested in numbers involved.

What really bothers me (for some reason) is how assertive and just harsh those lads are on the phone. Like the guy on the phone in that scam that you posted, it just seems like these are horrible people for some reason. Maybe one way to make a living but I have no respect for that.

I had a scam text message which simply read..This is my new phone number (followed by a premium rate 070xxxxx number) . and gave NO indication of who the person was.. assuming that a fair number of people would unwittingly call the number to find out who it was.. at £3 a minute... :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back