wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,just like to say this really is a fantastic site,one of the best iv'e had the pleasure to come across. I wonder if you could help me with a problem, my daughters computer upstairs,running windows xp was working not long back,by wireless, d link, she cannot access the net, msn, or anything on line even though it says she's connected ot 54 mpbs, or whatever letters come after the 54, she used to have an habit of messing into the unknown on her computer, and normally leaves me a job to sort it all out again, this time i'm lost, i'm not very good with them, normally trial and error.would really appreciate some help with this, as she needs it for homework etc, i don't exactly know what info you need about the computer so, please let me know, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try this first and post back.

Open a command prompt (START>RUN, type CMD and press ENTER.)

In the window, type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and press ENTER.

See if you can access the net.

whilst your at a command prompt, type ipconfig and press enter, and post your IP address (this is a LOCAL IP so no concerns about me wanting to know your IP as such ;) )

Igorian,

thanks for your info, came up....successfully flushed DNS resolver cache, when trying to connect, the same thing came up, yellow triangle at DNS.... yellow triangle at keyports then says something about proxy firewall settings, don't really know about that

eggplant,

do you mean post ip address on here, i don't have a prob with that, but is that what you mean?

Sponsored Links
yes,

I suspect you are getting a 169.254.x.x IP which, assuming wireless connection is there as you say, indicates authentication problems.

Are there any other PCs connected to this router?

Can they access the Internet ok?

Have you tried powering down the router (and then on again)?

go into the router settings and check the configuration setup

usually using the http://10.0.0.2 or http://192.168.0.1
totally ignore that, how can the router ip be 10.0.0.2 when the client ip is 192.168.0. ?

do anipconfig /all and post the results, I assume it will be ok though as it seems to pick up an IP from the router. When you did the ipconfig /all, one of the things you will see is "default gateway" try and ping the gateway, i.e. if the gateway is 192.168.0.254 then put ping 192.168.0.254, you should get a reply, also try ping www.google.com and see what the results are.

Igorian
just tried to connect my lap wireless, won't have it..it normally does, well, last time i tried it did, came up, WindowsSystem Error.... There is an IPadress conflict with another system on the network.....have tried to power up/down, nothing,...

2face,

those links don't work...

eggplant,

put anipconfig in....Start..run,.. well my daughter did, she said nothing happened,.. Did not recognise anipconfig/all
What about(if i can remember how to)resetting my router and starting a fresh?

I can change your head gasket or fit an engine, but Computers....!!!!

just tried to connect my lap wireless, won't have it..it normally does, well, last time i tried it did, came up, WindowsSystem Error.... There is an IPadress conflict with another system on the network.....have tried to power up/down, nothing,...

ok, methinks I know what the prob is, on the one with the problem, go to control panel, network connections. right click your wireless conection, then properties, then TCP/IP, ensure IP and DNS are set to automatic (I'm assuming your router is set as a dhcp server - if not I'm sure you wouldnt be asking...)

eggplant,

put anipconfig in....Start..run,.. well my daughter did, she said nothing happened,.. Did not recognise anipconfig/all
What about(if i can remember how to)resetting my router and starting a fresh?

start/run CMD
then on the black screen, ipconfig /all

to reset router, unplug for a minute or so, then plug backin and wait a min

Yes, definately sounds like a static ipaddress on one or both PCs.

got the black screen up, did what you said, ip/dns are set to automatic like you say, where do i go from here?

got the default gate way, how do you "ping"?

libby put in anipconfig, should that not have ipconfig? Think someone missed a space out.

hermes said:
libby put in anipconfig, should that not have ipconfig? Think someone missed a space out.

Yes, but Eggy corrected himself, and explained how to resolve the problem. The OP just hasn't read the reply correctly.

Sponsored Links
Back