wireless

hi, i did read the post ,both ways, ive tried both incase the other person made a mistake, i thought someone would of got back by now, i did as told, and was waiting for a reply,don't like to mither people, but, if you don't know the answer to my problem, i would rather be told, so i can get on with the rest of my life, :D :eek:

Sponsored Links
Sorry if i got it wrong but, i thought my pre- last post explained it? no? iam a no no on computers this is why i ask for help, can't even get my head round copying my last post ( pre?) to show you :oops:

Sponsored Links
its great that you managed to do an ipconfig - but unfortunately Im not able to see your screen from here so cant really offer advice if I dont know what the outcome was....

Sorry eggplant, this is what came up, there was more, but i don't want to be giving away info that i should,nt be, if that's even possible, told you, i really no nothing about computers

DHCP enabled..............yes

Autoconfiferation enabled.....yes

I P routing enabled........yes

WINS proxy enabled...... no

is this enough? if not do i (try) and copy the lot and post that? if so, may need asistance off my daughter when she gets back, thanks for being patient with me

To ping, go to the "black screen" (as you call it :D ) and just type

"ping www.google.com" (without the quotations marks!!)

If it works, you see something along the lines of:

Reply from 64.233.183.147: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.183.147: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.183.147: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=243
etc...
etc...

Who is your internet provider? is it cable?

cosmo,
did as you said and it came up as you suggested, so, what does it say to you? my provider is ntl cable

if it did ping, and you got a reply, then in theory you are connected to the internet.

have you tried unplugging the cable box, router and shutting down computer,
turn on cable box, leave to completley reboot, then switch on router, leave for a minute then boot up computer.

I too am on cable wirelessly, and every time i get a problem connecting, this usually solves the problem

well, tried it all now, all unplugged and then powered every thing up, one at a time, it,s saying i'm connected in the tray at the bottom right hand corner, 54mbps as expected but always comes up, cannot find page, this is with both, my new laptop, and my daughters normal computer upstairs, think i'll give up and run a wire upstairs, gotta be easier than this :confused:

Hi,

Just to confirm, if when you typed "ping google.com" on the black screen you got a response including IP address like:

[code:1]

Pinging google.com [64.233.167.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=239

Ping statistics for 64.233.167.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 93ms, Maximum = 93ms, Average = 93ms
[/code:1]

then it was successful. However, I just want to make sure you didn't get a message in the gist of "could not find host" or "destination unreachable".

If the above is correct, as has been said, the laptop is connected to the internet. Now, if your daughter cant browser the web through Internet Explorer or Firefox, then there is a possibility that the browser has been misconfigured.

A common cause is if the browser has been set up to use what is called a proxy server. This is a machine that redirects web connections for security or monitoring purposes. Unless you use someone like AOL, then you probably shouldn't be configured for one. Configurations differ depending on what make of browser you use but here's some quick details on IE:

When the browser is open - go to tools and select Internet Options. Click on the connections tab and hit LAN settings. Nothing should be selected (apart from maybe 'automatically detect' as this shouldn't hurt). If they are, untick them and click the Oks to get back to the browser.

For firefox (version 2) - go to tools - options, then advanced, network and hit connection settings and make sure 'direct connection' is selected.

So if a proxy server was the issue, that should fix it.

Another issue might be firewalls installed on the laptop. It might be inadvertently configured to block internet access. If you have 3rd party firewall software, try temporarily disabling it (there's probably an icon in the system try by the clock you can right click and address). If you use windows firewall, go to the control panel and temporarily turn it off.

If this works you'll need to reconfigure the firewall or reset it back to defaults. Don't forget to turn them back on if you've disabled them for testing !!!!

try those and let me know.
Cheers

900se said:
Another issue might be firewalls installed on the laptop. It might be inadvertently configured to block internet access.

Sorry - that should have read 'configured to block web access' - just to be pedantic.

hi 900se,
yes, when pinged, it was as you showed, disabled my windows firewall, i also have F-secure, which i disabled, have gone through that procedure of going to tools, internet options etc, on BOTH computers, still no joy, i would of considered the router knackered except the fact it's saying connected, anyway thanks for taking the time to help me, the answer is out their somewhere, i'll try another day, i think :rolleyes:

Cosmo Viking said:
try downloading winsockfix from Here

Also try this, not sure if it work , but well worth a try..

Tried these, the first put " Limited Connectivety" on both the landline connection,and wireless then asked to reboot and i thought we were getting somewhere wnen rebooted, it was all as before, very confusing is this, the second asked for my disk which is built in my computer.(somewhere)

Sponsored Links
Back