scantronic 9600

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all sorry to be a pest but I have a small concern regarding to my scantronic 9600, I have noticed the main panel casing is lot warmer than usual and transformer appears to be buzzing a bit louder. I have removed the cover and the transformer is hot to the touch not so hot you can't touch it but its hot non the less. I also felt the battery which is around 3 years old and is slightly warm.The only things that are hot to the touch in the panel is the big black heatsink on the main pcb. and the transformer. touching the heatsink is uncomfortable but it does not sizzle so I guess its fine?.

Could this be a problem or am I worrying over nothing?, I do have a spare transformer for the system so could replace if need be. The alarm still works fine as it should and has not got off or reported any problems. Sounds daft but could it just be the weather? It has been pretty damn hot in house lately and the panel is in the cupboard under the stairs near the kitchen.
thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check the fixings on transform ,loose screw can cause transformer to hum/buzz.
If you have a multimeter you could check output voltages.
Transformer should be between 17 - 21 volts A/C
Battery charging volts 13.68 volts D/C ish
Aux volts 13.68 volts D/C ish,if high near 14volts then issue with pcb.
This hot weather could make panel run warm.Would still check voltages and battery.

Thanks I will take some voltage readings tomorrow or today that is then get back to you. I saw a spare 9600 pcb on ebay which I was going to buy for future ref but some git outbid me at the last second, oh well not much an issue at the moment as the alarm is still working.

Last edited:
Morning I have taking some voltage readings as requested here you are
Transformer= 19VAC
Charging circuit=13.9VDC
Battery=13.8VDC
Aux=13.9VDC

cheers R

Sponsored Links
Thanks,I was beginning to think its not such a problem after all. I will tighten the transformer if that fails I will use rubber washers to keep it quiet. One more thing is it worth changing the battery now anyway?. Its about 2 or 3 years old iirc, or should I wait until it needs replacing? Mind you I can remember couple years back the internal siren screaming at about 3 or 4AM reporting battery failure I turned it off at keypad then it would go off again every 5 minutes and so on very annoying, don't fancy that happening again.Anyway I am blethering What do you think should I replace the batt?
cheers

What size battery is it ?
If 7.0ah battery should be ok for 12 months ?
Voltages look ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back