Scantronic 9800 Alarm - what's "t8" error code?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Full set alarm has been randomly going off recently.

Checked the error log and the following appear (but not in this order):
E1, AA, EF, PF & t8. All except "t8" I can account for.

t8 error code appears on panel, where "t" is apparently a circuit tamper error. No one has touched the alarm & its been working fine for over 15 years.

Circuits (or zones) 1 to 5 are wired up, but how do I found out what circuit 8 is? (is it a system circuit? as I've seen posts about c7 for example)

thanks

Sponsored Links
t is a tamper.
8 means circuit 8

so it means you have a tamper on circuit 8. your problem is what is circuit 8.

you have 3 options

figure out what it is by removing everthing else, so for example the front door, is on the alarm, but that is cct 1, the hall pir is on the alarm but that is cct 2 etc (i made them up you understand) what ever you cant number must be circuit 8

Open the panel and see is there any paperwork or anything written on the back of the lid

open the panel and follow the cable that is connected to cct 8

As an addition to what Breezer has advised, you give the impression that
No one has touched the alarm & its been working fine for over 15 years.
... and this system has never had a service of any kind.

The standby battery inside the control panel should have been replaced at least 5 yearly, and with correct servicing during its lifetime I would expect to find that many have failed before each of the the 5 years was up - you should be on at least your 4th if not 5th battery today.

By the way, there is, should, be another battery in the "bell" (generic term) box.

My battery thoughts should have no bearing on your t8 problem though.

thanks to both Breezer & Europlex.

I know what Circuits 1 to 5 are, and was hoping that say there was a 'standard' (or common) way of wiring in the bell unit or the alarm circuit box on C7 or C8. But looks like I have to open it up & investigate, annoying the neighbours by sounding the alarm when tampering with the box etc.

I appreciate Europlex' best practice wrt expected battery life, although I'd be disappointed if they didn't last 10 years or so - mine does seem overdue though! Is ScrewFix a reasonable place to buy bell & box batteries? (I'm in Barnet, North London)

cheers

Sponsored Links
looks like I have to open it up & investigate, annoying the neighbours by sounding the alarm when tampering with the box etc.

er, no.

With a 98 as with most panels now if you have a tamper fault (inluding opening the lid) only the internal sounder operates (speaker, on a 98)

standby batteries are only designed to last 5 years. screwfix do supply them, but maplin supply Yuasa the best brand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back