Scantronic 9800 unknown error, alarm not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have an unmonitored alarm - an ADT 3200 plus left from the previous owner which I believe is a rebadged Scantronic 9800. I've been using it fine the last year or so, set it off by mistake a couple of times but managed to reset using the engineer codes etc.

I now have some kind of fault I can't find anywhere! The display is permanently flashing with 2 dashes, sort of like: _ _

The 'Day' LED is lit up red, and the Power LED is lit green.

Pressing the keypad just gets the same tone from all the numbers, there's no response. Putting in the alarm code / engineer's code, nothing at all works. What's odd is that when I open the actual alarm panel (housing the wiring/battery etc), nothing happens. There is a tamper "wire" connected to the front "door" of the box. When i open the door, the wire detaches, and the alarm trips. Except it doesn't any more. Even detaching both black and red wires from the backup battery - nothing, not a sound. Is it perhaps a problem with the siren/sounder?

If anyone has any ideas what this error might be and how to solve it, please do let me know!

Sponsored Links
Two flashing dashes normally means code has been entered awaiting buttonA,B,C,D to be pressed ?
If no response could be locked out ?
Down power alarm mains and battery,now re power to re boot alarm ?

Thanks, Handymanjo.

No response if I enter code followed by A,B,C or D. In any event, the beeping tone the buttons make when pressed is different to what they sound like when I'm setting/unsetting the alarm (it's a much louder noise now).

Downing power through the mains - do you mean basically switching it off via the main fusebox for my flat?

When you open the control panel disconnect battery by taking leads off battery,is there a fused spur next to control panel ? Little white switch/socket with fuse on it ? Take fuse out of that if you have one.
There also is a isolator fuse inside control panel or simply just turn fuse board off when battery has been disconnected.now turn power back on and connect battery and reset with user code

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

Ok, I opened the panel, removed the black and red leads to the backup battery. Then removed the black fused spur. Heard a bell go off just outside the flat, then replugged everything back in.

The keys of the panel are glowing green, but there's nothing at all on the display, no lights. Punching in my code (just the code I use to arm/set the alarm), I hear the bleeps, but nothing happens....?

Panel could be pass it's sell buy date and has gone faulty ?
Do not make any more
Could look on eBay for replacement keypad ,but could be faulty control panel ?
You can replace control panel and keypad and reuse existing sensors and bell box if all ok

Tried it both ways, same result unfortunately. There's no power light showing now on the keypad (whereas there was before), seems a bit odd?

Frustrating timing - I'll be refurbishing my flat in about 3 months including installing a new alarm!

Due to age of control panel better off spending money on new system as your could be wasting you money if panel is faulty ? Trying to repair

Agreed. Let's just hope I don't get burgled between now and moving out....

Thanks for all your help, massively appreciated.

Ok
Just make sure you have power to the control panel,as the outside bell box will ring if no power ?
Depends on age of bell box should stop after 20 mins ,but old bell boxes did not have cut off timer
Please hit thanks button
Jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back