Scantronic Ion-40 Commissioning Keypad Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to install an Ion-40 panel with wired keypad.

At the first mains switch on (with back-up battery and wired keypad connected) the manual says you should get option A and B on the keypad display. I get this on my display but the entire left side of the keypad buttons -including the A, B, C & D buttons (but excluding the big square button) do not do anything - ie when I press them, nothing happens. Pressing the others makes a beep and the keypad back lighting comes on for a few seconds.

The only other useful thing I can add is that the 'heart-beat' LED on the main panel is flashing and when I override the main alarm panel tamper switch before powering up, the light around the big square button on the keypad glows steady green rather then rapid flashing red it does when the tamper switch is activated. This suggests to me that the main panel and keypad are communicating happily... and, of course, working.

I thought the problem might be simply a case of a defective keypad but I have since ordered and installed another (required anyway for my setup) and the second one does exactly the same.

Helpfully (not!) Scantronic (Cooper Security) technical support will not take calls from DIYers! If I had know that, I wouldn't have bough the thing in the first place.

So, future DIY Scantronic buyers beware but for me, I am a bit committed to getting it going now and I wonder if anyone can shed light on my keypad issue please?

Regards, Martin Winlow.

Sponsored Links
unfortunately many alarm companies don't support diy installs.

Mainly because of resource issues and the complexity of alarms in general.

Do you have the installation manual.

What tools do you have (multi meter?).

I am not familiar with this system, in general keypads have power and a data line, for the system to work correctly:-

the keypad needs the correct power, usually there is a minimum value below which certain things wont work, powering up on mains only is a good way to avoid issue with the battery.

If you still need a hand send us a message and I'll see what I can do to help.

Hi Hoover,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

I had only used a Response SA5 system before. I actually rather liked it from a user and installer POV - it seems well engineered, speech dialler included, reasonable range on the wireless side, adequate range of detectors etc… and works, which is always a bonus. But it is definitely a 'DIY' product compared to the i-on40.

The i-on40 is a very different animal. I principally opted for it because it is a hybrid system and I have a self build into which I hard-wired window and door contacts on every external window and door as well as a couple of PIRs. Why everything seems to be going wireless is a complete puzzle… except of course, engineers can install the systems much more quickly (make more money) and justify regular site visits to replace batteries (make more money). Perhaps it's just me. No doubt I would feel differently if I were an alarm engineer!

Anyway, the i-on40 provides 16 wired zones (even that wasn't enough) and the rest of the 40 are wireless. The other main reason for jumping ship is that the 40 comes with a web server (over a wired LAN - not wifi) which allows you to do most of the configuration sitting in front of a computer either locally or anywhere in the world as well as monitor and control its status likewise. This is a generational leap in alarm technology, IMO. I have a fairly good CCTV setup here and it was a bit frustrating when, on holiday, the house alarm calls me to say something has triggered a sensor but I don't know where or what it is. With the 40 I can log in, see what sensor has been tripped and have a look with the CCTV - for full peace of mind - or call the cops if there is some little herbert up to no good.

Back to the problem which prompted my original post… It turns out that I misread the distructions for setting the wired keypad addressing. Instead of no links installed for 'Keypad 01' I had all 3 links installed. That sorted that.

As for getting technical assistance, Cooper Security (or whoever owns them now) won't thank me for telling you that if you register as a self-builder (and probably even an egg candler, for that matter), you can get a pin to access the system anyway.

It certainly is a complex system with oodles (there must be 5 times as many as the A5) of settings, most of which I have never heard of before - and mostly to do with various British Standards - and I guess this is what sets it apart form DIY offerings. So DIYers, you will find it pretty difficult to install this system to its best advantage if you have no engineering background at all. MW

Sponsored Links
glad its sorted.

I always look at the following, they are in no order:-

1. wiring
2. power
3. addressing (especially if more than 1 keypad on system).
4. interference
5. faulty devices

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back