Scary second pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In front of the pilot light on my (french) boiler, there's a gas pipe with a length of gauze on it. When the boiler is running, a small flame (about the size of a cigarette lighter flame) comes out of this gauze.

I'm not sure this flame should be there. I wondered about just blowing it out, but I don't what it to leak gas, althought the room is very well ventilated. Does this sound familiar? Is there something wrong with my boiler? What is this gauze for?

This heating system is in my French holiday home. My French isn't good and I don't want to call out a plumber unless there is something wrong.

I'm hoping this will make sense to somebody. I'm aware that some vital details (make/model) are missing, but I'd be grateful for any advice anybody can give.

Sponsored Links
Havnt seen that set up on a domestic boiler for over 25 years,cant even remember the name. if you want be safe and shure get a local expert in .who can speek english.

Thanks for the response, COG.

There's no way this boiler is 25 years old. I'd be very surprised if it's more than ten years old - it's clean, square, white and modern looking. I probably should have mentioned that this boiler doesn't run off mains gas - it runs off a big propane tank in the field outside.

Also, it only operates the heating - the water is run off a rather scarier looking big grey cylinder thing, but that works fine.

Sponsored Links
stands a chance it's the weep tube from the relay valve...can you trace it back to a valve anywhere?. This should always have a flame by the way if you blow it out your gas will stop (hopefully!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back