Scrap Part P?

RF was your picture of the week pre or post the competent person scheme. If pre do you think things have improved, an impossible question to answer probably as you dont do domestic any more :) If it was post then surely that shows it isnt working in the format its in.

Sponsored Links
Much of it was probably pre competent persons being introduced, and from the state of it, the majority of it carried out by non elecricians such as kitchen fitters and the like.

Whilst I'm certain there are still jobs getting lashed in left right and centre, there are some fitters and builders who I know of personally who now sub the work out to an electrician because either the customer or the buildings inspector or even their own professional standards wants to see the works carried out safely and legally.

ebee, the majority of my work now is on construction sites (and in theatres), so it is fairly unusual to come across bad installations.

ebee, the majority of my work now is on construction sites (and in theatres), so it is fairly unusual to come across bad installations.

Does that mean I might have to dig into my stash of pics collected on various perioidics? :LOL:

Go for it. I've still got a few in reserve but no where near enough for one a week any more.

Sponsored Links
So say electrician stage 1. After a four week course you can go out add a socket to a circuit, inside or out in any room or location but perhaps only on 230v domestic, do repairs and carry out the appropriate tests and provide the paperwork. For some this would be all they want to do.

Electrician level 2, six week course.Complete rewires and fault finding, domestic only. Again for some thats all they want so would now stop training at this point. Their cards would state this is what they can do (bit more than a domestic installer grade i think) so they cant go off into 410v or industrial or commercial.

Level 3 410v systems 3 phase and so on. At successful completion of each stage you get a competant person certificate from the training body.

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/...id=4932&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

(should take you to the post at the top of page 3)

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
That non sparky bloke used to talk a lot of sense on that forum

I wish I had a decent camera phone to take pics of some of the $h1te that my predecessor did where I work now.

Remember this one :-

Rats nest, no labelling, no testing and at least one circuit with a borrowed Neutral

That's tasty.

Did he also do this:

IMGP1270-1.jpg

?

BAS just read the link. Thanks. Shame little seems to have changed over this period of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back