Scratched a gas pipe with a saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

My f-i-l has been around today to start lifting the floor boards to start our bathroom refit.

On cutting through one board we've discovered a gas pipe running at an angle under it!!

When cutting the board we have scratched the top of the pipe with the saw. Its got a scratch over the top that is no more than 1 or 2mm. There's no signs of an obvious leak (i.e. no smell and liquid isn't bubbling when rubbed over it).

Is it ok to leave it as is, or would you recommend getting someone in to take a look at it?

As always, many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
1 or 2 mm??

Assuming it's copper, I wouldn't want to leave it like that.

do you mean 1 or 2 mm deep INTO the copper, or is that how long it is and hardly scratching the surface, for want of a better expression :oops:

Check it with bubbles , no leak, then just clean it up and run some solder over it

Sponsored Links
thanks folks.

for clarity it is 1 to 2mm deep and about and about 4cm long (only 2mm deep in the middle of this the rest is about 1mm).

Would it be ok to add some solder into it as per namsag's suggestion?

sorry namsag I wasn't suggesting that what you said wouldn't be safe, I was just after a second opinion or other options.

sorry to offend... :oops:

thanks mattylad

will it be ok over night or should I turn the gas off?

is the soldering something I can do myself or should I get a plumber out?

many thanks

Any damaged gas pipe should be made AR and turned off..
If your going to get the soldering gear out then get a RGI to cut and repair it ;)

Kabooom

Yeah lets make the job sound like rocket science , pay someone to carry out a simple repair.

AR = Pipework showing signs of corrision or damage likely to affect safety.
If its not leaking now why would it leak in the future. Are you saying soldering over it would not be strong enough but yet its strong enough to make joints

Sorry for the ignorance but what does AR mean?

I presume RGI is registered gas installer?

I've just checked the pipe again and there is still no sign of a leak, there's also no smell of gas (in a very small bathroom with door and windows closed for a while)

namsag - are there any risks with just going for the solder option rather than a replacement section?

sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help.

AR stands for at risk. Its where something maybe dangerous under certain circumstances in the future.
Soldering over damaged pipes has been a perfectly acceptable repair since copper pipes have been used ,. Solder is strong enough to hold a joint so its strong enough to fill dinks (even holes) in pipes.
But as matty says turn gas off first

I would be getting it repaired....1-2mm deep is just about through the pipe wall.

If you don't get it fixed properly you just know that it will be playing on your mind until you do get it fixed :LOL:

So tell me why you think solder is not up to the job then and will not safely fill the scored pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back