Scratched a gas pipe with a saw

So tell me why you think solder is not up to the job then and will not safely fill the scored pipe

Personally, I'd follow BigBurners advice on all matters pertaining to gas and replace the damaged section with the 30 kW Broag combi. 5 year guarantee. ;)

Seriously though, whether repair or replace the damaged section, the op may not be competent nor equipped to do either. So which method is best may be an academic argument. :confused:

Sponsored Links
thanks folks.

for clarity it is 1 to 2mm deep and about and about 4cm long (only 2mm deep in the middle of this the rest is about 1mm).

Would it be ok to add some solder into it as per namsag's suggestion?

In this case I would cut the pipe and fit a slip coupling over the damaged area (solder fitting).

2mm deep is too deep to keep pipe integrity IMHO

Sponsored Links
....hmmm do it live!?

No NO, You aint been paying attention.

Clean pipe in area of work.
Lightly flux said area.
Ignite blowtorch, and check for voices within earshot to establish correct flame lenght.
Cook the joint and apply solder.

:rolleyes:

:LOL: :LOL: ;) Eh swidster ;)

Swidders, while I thoroughly enjoy jousting with you, are you actually gas qualified?

not intended as a slur.

Im sorry quite frankly, wiping the cut is crackers, do a risk asessment.
not worth it my opinion.

do it right and get a registered gas engineer in to repair the pipe correctly.

Swidders, while I thoroughly enjoy jousting with you, are you actually gas qualified?

No!! Never claimed to be. Even I, however, know stupidity when I see it (speedfit for heavens sake - clearly Hep2O would do it!! Joke!!!!!! :!: ).

Just "watching" the "solder the crack" bit to see how it pans out amongst you pros.

Swidders, sorry I got the impression you was a Pipe sweater :oops:

The names Craig by the way, Oh and WDIK is BIG Simon ;)

Dave (G4Y) gave the correct answer, cut and solder in a slip coupling :LOL:

Go on big Dave :LOL:

Swidders, sorry I got the impression you was a Pipe sweater :oops:

The names Craig by the way, Oh and WDIK is BIG Simon ;)

Dave (G4Y) gave the correct answer, cut and solder in a slip coupling :LOL:

Go on big Dave :LOL:

I hope me not being a gas boy hasn't tarnished our budding relationship ;) Just a wet boy me.

Will the slip coupling be long enough to cover a 4cm gash? Looks a bit close to me.

No need to cut any pipe out, just whip round close to the "scratch" with the Kopex slip on coupling and solder, nowt out, as we say up 'T' norf ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back