Scratched gas pipe - not leaking, but does it need replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be grateful for some advice about damage to the 22mm copper gas pipe that feeds my boiler. The pipe runs under the upstairs floorboards. I damaged it when screwing a floorboard that had come loose into a joist :rolleyes:. The screw grazed and scratched the side of the pipe. It has not holed it (I've put washing up liquid on it to check for bubbles to be sure), but there are visible scratches from the screw thread. So my question is simple: do I need to get this section of pipe replaced, or since there is no gas leak do I not need to bother?

If it doesn't need replacing, could I, for peace of mind, put electrical tape around the pipe at the point where it is scratched? Alternatively if I do need to get it replaced, how big/expensive a job is this likely to be?

Thanks in advance

Fred

Sponsored Links
Depends if its just a scratch no probs but a deep score and I would change that section for peace of mind.

At best I think the OP should get it checked or even post a pic showing the damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back