Scratched a gas pipe with a saw

Sponsored Links
wow I didn't realise that this would get such a response, thanks everyone.

There certanly isn't a leak on the pipe at the moment. I've checked it again this morning and there is no smell or bubbling.

I don't have the stuff to do the soldering but my f-i-l does as he does the wet stuff, so I could add solder if needs be, or add a cover.

I might call a local company out to have a nosey, any idea how much I could expect to pay?

many thanks again for all your help.

As copper pipe (the new stuff) is only 1 mm thick you should turn off and get a Corgi in. :eek:

Sponsored Links
thanks bahco

this is pipe that is old stuff (atleast 15 years). There is an off cut off pipe under the floor by the gas pipe and it is around 3/4mm thick.

I've called a corgi, just waiting or him to call me back now.

Glad you are getting a competent guy to cut-out and repair the problem ;) I would also ask him to check the rest of the gas pipe installation, as obviously some of the pipe might not be placed correctly under the floor, OR I would use a shorter saw in future :p Get him to put gas pipe tape on there as well, just so you know....

thanks Godknows

we had traced the gas pipe all the way up until it enters an airing cupboard next to the bathroom.

Where we had expected it to go straight on flat against the wall it rather strangely comes on a diagonal angle across the board. No idea why it is that way, but will ask the chap to consider routing it another way when he comes out.

Sorry but had to reply!! If you are 1- 2mm into the surface then your into the pipe as the wall thickness is 0.9mm (22mm tube or 0.7mm 15mm tube). So if your only 0.35mm in ya half way through! turn the gas off and get it sorted.

Hi just been reading the post with interest about what to do with the saw cut in the pipe under the floor, just a point that i would like to make that no one has mentioned about, if the pipe is cut through then a tempory bond will need to be put in place, and also the last time i did my ACS we had to cut into a pipe to repair a leak , that was connected to live gas and the meter had to be removed and capped with dust caps , and placed in a safe place, so i am sure this repair should come under these safety rules as in Essential Gas Safety fouth edition page 98

The trouble is is that the OP has been testing for leaks using his nose and liquids. Everyone knows the way to find gas leaks is with [removed] :cool:

--------------

Potentially dangerous advice removed

Moderator 9

Gasmick2 you are describing what a qualified RGI would do among other safety procedures, we are talking to joe public, if you tell them exactly what to do they will try and do it themselves (if they have little common sense or want to save money), also possibly putting their life and others at risk! We can give general advice, short of being specific where we show the remedy must be done by a suitably qualified RGI. Remember this forum is recorded, and one could be held liable if a risk of life and property is a direct result to your exact instructions... The preverbial umbrella must be covered and your A**E. As you well know, under the gas regs ALL work must be done by the competent person ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back