screenwash in radiator!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if anyone can help. have had a blonde woman driver moment. I have just passed my test and bought my first car - a 1994 fiat cinquecento! Thinking I was clever and independent i have accidentally put screenwash in my radiator! Will I have done any major damage and how should I go about rectifying it! do I have to take it to a garage or do you think a reasonably capable bloke would be able to fix for me! I don;t know if its just a case of draining and refilling or what really!! need some advice! Will I cause irreparable damage if I continue driving it! please help - I hope i haven't killed it! Also will it be expensive the car only cost me £500 and I don't really want to start forking out for repairs already when have only driven it a day!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Drain it-flush it with the two stage stuff from local car shop-refill with correct strenght coolant. You may have done yourself a favour as you dont know how old the coolant was and your heading into winter.
Ray

KMJdriver,you should have nothing to worry about other than,how much did you put in?If there was room for much coolant in the rad you may have a leak anyway.Or did you just tip it in the expansion tank?In which case most of it will still be in there and you could just empty it and refill with the correct stuff.(50% water/glycol mix)Screenwash is a type of antifreeze,but has no anti-corrosion additive.Short term,you have no real problem,but in an unknown car,it is wise to replace the coolant anyway.It will not freeze while up to strength but should be replaced every two years as the anti-corrosion deteriorates.This is bad news on alloy cylinder heads and blocks.

Sponsored Links
Back