screw compressor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a screw compressor these compressor dont like temp's below 3 degree's .

When they get below this temp the controller will shut the compressor down till the ambient temp is 3 degrees or above.

When they are running they are fine as compressor will generate it owns heat, it is just the intial start in the morning that proves to be a problem.

This common with modern screw compressors, you can buy a built in heater from the manufacture, but these cost in excess of £500.00

I was speaking with my compressor supplier and he said you can make your own heater for much less, he gave me a few pointers.

I require a small cabinet heater around 100-150 watt and a thermostat set the thermostat to kick in at around 5 degrees and to switch of at around 9 degrees.

He told me to go to rs components web site and get my supplies there. So i have had a look, can you tell me if i am making the correct choice of components

http://www.uk.rs-online.com/web/

enter in search box

299-5944 for heater

103-386 for thermostat.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be easier just to warm it up with a heat gun?

This has been mentioned as a quick fix solution, but i would rather have something a little less heath robinson :) .

Plus this compressor was an expensive item, and i dont want any of my workers melting anything with a hot air gun

this screw compressor, do us a picture..
you can get crank case heaters for scroll compressors, they are lengths of trace heating tape fixed to a large "hose clip" type band

you could do something similar with trace heating tape, or have a look around for danfoss crank case heaters and see if you can adapt one..

Sponsored Links
this screw compressor, do us a picture..
you can get crank case heaters for scroll compressors, they are lengths of trace heating tape fixed to a large "hose clip" type band

you could do something similar with trace heating tape, or have a look around for danfoss crank case heaters and see if you can adapt one..

as requested :)

abac201.jpg

abac202.jpg

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0603328/

A lot smaller than a tubular heating and easier to wire than the first solution (just need a bit of flex).

Thanks i agree it is a lot smaller

the tube heater is a good simple idea, but i think it is a little big to fit within.

Out of interest why is this one easier to wire than the first solution, bearing in mind i will still require a thermostat.

I am not proposing to wire it myself, i will get an electrician to carry out the work.

There are many trace heating tape that can be attached to items, normally that, need to be kept warm. This is a very compact way to put the heat exactly where it is needed.

Raychem produce a range of self regulating tapes using material which adjusts its resistance according to the temperature. As a result they require no thermostat as they take virtually no current until they become cold.

One caution with an air compressor in cold weather is that while the compressor can be pre-warmed and kept warm by its own waste heat its critical parts can still be chilled danagerously low by very cold incoming air. A heater on the air intake may be necessary.

Out of interest why is this one easier to wire than the first solution, bearing in mind i will still require a thermostat.
The first one has very short tails, which can't go directly to a thermostat so will need to be soldered/crimped to some more wire. OK that may end up being slightly easier than taking the cover off the Pentagon and wiring it up internally, but it certainly won't look as neat.

Those short tails could also easily be damaged by someone working within the compressor housing, and I'm also unsure how hot those exposed yellow ends would get in service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back