Screw socket missing from socket box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas on how to fix this? As you can see from the second image, you cannot get the screw on one side in due to the missing part. I can't find it anywhere. The walls have been tiled so going to be a pain to replace the entire box..

screw1.jpg
screw2.jpg

Sponsored Links
it's a plastic box intended for use in plasterboard. Buy an identical box and see if you can swap parts. It doesn't matter if you damage the part you are removing. I think the missing part is a ferrule. Occasionally it is missing due to a manufacturing fault. Sometimes people find a chromed woodscrew that fits, near enough, when the thread is damaged.

If necessary, you can destroy the old box with a drill and padsaw and pick it out in pieces, before fitting a new one.

If the hole in the tiles is too small, you can shave the edges with a multicutter or dremel.

Sponsored Links
The op's box is indeed Appleby.

Be sure to buy the same depth box, to ensure you get the correct size lug.

It is Appleby.
Problem is I can't get to the back or side of the box due to the tiles and I don't want to break the tiles.
So I will buy this box and test whether I can replace the yellow part from the inside even though it is clipped on from the outside or whether I can remove the coil part the screw connects to (it obviously comes off as it's missing on that one) and glue it into the existing yellow clip.

though it is clipped on from the outside

No, they are inserted from the inside. This is how they come new...

20190914_195952.jpg

Once clicked, they are only held by these two barbs...

Inked20190914_200038_LI.jpg

Push the yellow bit away from you into the wall as far as it will go.Then insert a very thin screwdriver (2.0mm-ish) and lever the barbs back in...

20190914_200207.jpg

The barbs often snap, but you're replacing it anyway, so it doesn't matter in your case, just for when re-using.

The clips fit from the inside, when you get the new one you will see, you have to push the clip back first then pull it inwards, often a screwdriver behind it helps.

Last resort if the clip dont fit properly , is too selftapper the new clip to the side of the existing box

Thank you. I was able to take the old one out and put the new one in within 5 minutes. A lot easier than I imagined.

No, they are inserted from the inside. This is how they come new...

View attachment 171351

Once clicked, they are only held by these two barbs...

View attachment 171352

Push the yellow bit away from you into the wall as far as it will go.Then insert a very thin screwdriver (2.0mm-ish) and lever the barbs back in...

View attachment 171353

The barbs often snap, but you're replacing it anyway, so it doesn't matter in your case, just for when re-using.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back