Screwed by a builder "friend".

spy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! Looks like I am going to be doing some serious brains picking. I got talked into doing up my outbuilding by a mate who is a builder and offered to help. Anyway, the long and short of it is he owes me money still from a car he bought off me and has fobbed me off for over 6 months with my outbuilding. It has so far been ripped out and I have double glazed doors and window fitted. The doors are 2 brick courses above the existing concrete floor which needs to be raised. Do I lay some serious concrete or does wooden floor make more sense?

I was thinking wood would be cheaper and possible easier. Now I need to lay joists and board on top. I am assuming I dont fix the joists to the wall to allow for expansion. How do I do it? Approx 1 ft apart with short legs between them to prevent twisting? They must need fixing in place somehow surely?

Can anyone help? I need to sell this house early next year so only have 3 months ish to get it finished. I wish I had left well alone. We really are at our wits end here.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
You can get ready mixed concrete delivered to your door which will be a lot easier.

Put a membrane down and foam insulation blocks and then pour your concrete over and level off.

Might cost you less than £300 but of course you need to check how much materials you will need. :D

Same problem in my kitchen. We laid a base level of concrete, putting while wet 3 inch joists to rest on it hanging off wall plates with Wickes joist hangers, when dry , polestyrene sheets and then flooring grade chip. This was 3 years ago - I wish the whole house was like it!

Sponsored Links
there is a system used with wood called a floating floor system usually used in installing gyms, dance floors and some commercial floors if your door is already sat higher this can be a solution but if the out building is off victorian - edwardian build then you can have a damp proof course problem screeding the floor can also be a solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back