Screwfix

Its not really an option to use the phone as as suggested because theres no coverage in the house.
I will takes up opps offer but my head is full of other stuff at the mo.

I have since discovered that PlusNet lock down the routers so that users cannot change the DNS settings. If you change the settings on your PC, the router will still be using the PlusNet ones.

The general advice from Plusnet customers is to purchase the business version of the Smart Hub from the likes of ebay

See

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 604183A5-3A4F-4551-9F00-8233FBA0B31D.png
    604183A5-3A4F-4551-9F00-8233FBA0B31D.png
    777.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The general advice from Plusnet customers is to purchase the business version of the Smart Hub from the likes of ebay
But why should you? You buy a service which comes with a free router, so...

Sponsored Links
But why should you? You buy a service which comes with a free router, so...
I have no dog in this fight. Yes, I agree that customers should not have to pay for routers to replace the free ones. I can only guess that they lock them down to reduce potential customer service costs. They don't want customers tweaking setting that the Technical Help Desk may need to resolve.

&

Thanks, Your like a terrier on a rat when you get started opps:ROFLMAO: I did ring plusnet last night and they mailed some instructions which I haven't looked into yet
Edit: This is what they sent,
The link that they sent you is completely useless. The link is an attempt to increase the quality of your internal wifi. Your issue is not wifi related. It is DNS related. Hopefully they will sort that out but it requires a certain mass of people to complain before it is escalated up the tech food chain.

The link that they sent you is completely useless. The link is an attempt to increase the quality of your internal wifi. Your issue is not wifi related. It is DNS related. Hopefully they will sort that out but it requires a certain mass of people to complain before it is escalated up the tech food chain.
When I spoke with them they said they were unaware of any issues and to ping SF url

Terms like PEBMAC/PEBCAK or an ID10T error are often used by tech operators and computer experts to describe a user error as a problem that is attributed to the user's ignorance instead of a software or hardware malfunction.

Of course, the genii who design computer systems sometimes (often?) seem to have a major problem when it comes to designing software for mere mortals to use...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I spoke with them they said they were unaware of any issues and to ping SF url

The SF site doesn't respond to PINGs, so PINGing it proves nothing.

We have a situation where SF have said that they have been talking to Plusnet but you are dealing with the lowest level at the Technical Help Desk.

Short of buying the business router, you will just have to wait for Plusnet to sort things out at their end.

Far better to tell Plusnet to shove their substandard service and move to an ISP that's actually competent.

I didn't have the best of experiences with Plusnet, and found the free router not powerful enough (and I'm not in a big place nor does it have thick walls). Didn't think they were helpful enough during the contract so took my business elsewhere at the end of it.

Of course, the genii who design computer systems sometimes (often?) seem to have a major problem when it comes to designing software for mere mortals to use...
I thought it was fair do's to use the term against a Tech company that pretends to know what it is doing.

I do wonder at times if any if them know what they are doing. This recent Screwfix cock-up being a fine example. In the past I've had endless fun with BT, Virgin and TalkTalk. No effing commemt about any of them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back