Screwing into party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our bedroom want to put a TV up but the only walls I can do it on is a partition wall. Where would the studs be located from the end of the wall and with the bracket being wide if the studs are not wide enough how do I mount it? The other option is the window wall but as it's external the house is made of these very light bricks (thermalite?) I'd prefer to go into the party wall but if that's not possible what fixings can I use on the cheese wall? Even a wood drilll bit goes into these blocks. TV is 50" Thank you

Thank you

Sponsored Links
On the stud wall you could cut a small ish hole behind where TV would be sited and feel for joists. Ideally you'd want a noggin of wood between the joists to mount the TV on. Cut the plasterboard, mount wood then refit the cutout bit of board. It'll be hidden by TV anyway.

On the thermalite wall you can use resin fixings to get a good solid fixing.

Find struts with rare earth magnet.
Fridge magnet won't work.
Magnet in phone mount or something if you have one or buy one as cheap.
Will grab metal screws or metal wall bars.
Mark up then decide

Sponsored Links

Do they honestly make party walls in stud partition form?
Yes.

Stud Party Wall.jpg

That was taken on a recent visit to a new build block and shows one side of a half completed stud party wall. The walls will get plywood pattresses to carry various things like TVs, media centres, heaters, kitcheen cabinets, etc plus the wiring and some mineral wool sound insulation, but other than that they are just double boarded each side with 15mm PB (not even sound block - even the last one I worked on was better than that. This is why I for one am not keen on new build apartments (leaves to sound of song, "Little boxes, little boxes, And they're all made out of ticky-tacky...")

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they would at least use blockwork with sound deadening qualities. Can just imagine newly-weds having their fun curtailed when they move into their brand-new home!

I thought they would at least use blockwork with sound deadening qualities. Can just imagine newly-weds having their fun curtailed when they move into their brand-new home!
I've worked on a couple of refurbs now, and I can tell you that they don't. Best you can hope for is something like four layers of 15mm soundbloc and some mineral wool between you and next door. We are building tomorrow's slums with these things

Last edited by a moderator:
...or the OP could have innocently considered a 'Party' wall as a simile for partition?
Yes, apologies. I meant partition between 2 bedrooms although I am pretty sure there isn't much between us and next door. We can here her talk, put plugs in, even the TV. Really bad, but apologies, I did mean partition wall.

If it is a partition wall built of wooden (sometimes metal) framing, with a plasterboard skin, you need to locate the frame so you can screw into it. A powerful neodymium magnet will find the nails. Mark them with chalk, which you can clean off afterwards.

With luck your TV mounting plate will span at least two studs you can screw into. If not, use one, with screws at the top, bottom and middle of the plate, to take the weight, and use plasterboard fixings to prevent the plate moving at the corners of both sides.

If you can't find the studs, drill a hole and feed my Special Tool into it, pushing sideways until it hits a stud. Mark the distance on the tool, withdraw it from the hole, and mark the position on the face of the wall.

In some cases partition walls have no frame and are made of rigid plastic foam or carboard

If it is a partition wall built of wooden (sometimes metal) framing, with a plasterboard skin, you need to locate the frame so you can screw into it.
In apartment buildings and large developments MF is ubiquitous nowadays, John - you tend to see timber stud work more on individual houses where there would be a blockwork wall between residencesand even there on thr bigger developments they are using MF,because it is installed faster (and arguably takes less skill)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back