Screwing into Plasterboard - help!

Hi all

I am trying to hang curtains and am using a medium weight wall plug which screws directly into the plaster.

I live in an old Victorian mansion block, and every time I try and screw the plug into the wall, the plaster just crumbles around it and the plug falls out.

What am I doing wrong and what do i need to do to fix it securely - its really annoying me now.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You need to drill deeper into the wall into the brick work itsself as the plaster itself won't take any weight. You then need to push the rawlplug far enough in that it is in the brickwork. That will probably mean you need longer screws as well.

Sponsored Links
As above, you need to push the rawl plug right through the plaster and into the brick.

-Gently push the plug flush with the plaster
-Insert a screw into the plug, and hammer it in (using a hammer, not hammer action drill!)
-Once its through the plaster, unscrew the screw, as it will have gone into the plug a fair way
-Fit the bracket, and screw into your now sunken plug
-Make good around and damaged plaster

It should never move then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back