Screwing into Plasterboard - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am trying to hang curtains and am using a medium weight wall plug which screws directly into the plaster.

I live in an old Victorian mansion block, and every time I try and screw the plug into the wall, the plaster just crumbles around it and the plug falls out.

What am I doing wrong and what do i need to do to fix it securely - its really annoying me now.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Are you putting this plug into plasterboard or plaster? Sounds like you ar trying to put a plasterboard fixing into plaster which won't work.

Ah - yes I think you're right. Its plaster I presume, not plasterboard.

Obviosely its above the window so its brick on the outside.

So how do i fix to plaster?

Thanks

Use a much thinner drill to start than you eventually need, and drill deeper so you hit something solid....consider gluing the plug in place with No Nails adhesive or similar.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As soon as i drill though the plaster around it becomes loose and falls away, particulary when im trying to bang the wall plug in.

What type of wall plug should i use? Do you mean smaller hole than the plug? But again, that will just upset the plaster round it when i try and lodge the plug in, wont it?

It can faze all of us from time to time, but by using a smaller drill diameter to start with shouldn't break the plaster away. If it continues to do so, then the damaed wall will need to be made good with fresh plaster.
Anyway, use a 6mm plastic plug in a 6mm hole when the hole is drilled, and you only should need to gently tap the plug in (with adhesive).
For a curtain pole, you may need to fix a timber batten to the wall, and screw the pole to that.

No hammer action is needed when drilling through soft plaster, but engage it again when you hit something solid.

Its not even plaster anymore as i have filled it now with putty, so im buggered really!

Ill just bang it in

U mean be a bit softer?
Haha i want to use my hammer tho

From your responses I'm not sure if you know what hammer action is, check your drill for a switch or slider, if there is a picture of a hammer, make sure the switch/slider is AWAY from the hammer when drilling through plaster.

What model drill is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back