Scribing the last tile to the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question for anyone that knows, how do you scribe and cut the last ceiling tile that butts the ceiling ?

Sponsored Links
So just measure the length on each side and then mark it onto the tile? Do I leave room for expansion at the top? What's the best way to cut tapered lengths? I use a normal tile cutter with the level I pull down to snap the tile, do I need any special equipment? The tile cutter I have only works for straight cuts

Sponsored Links
I'd leave a wideish grout gap (maybe 3/4 mm) at the top and use silicone.

What you need to cut it depends on the tile - how big it is, how thick it is, what it's made of etc. Cant you put it in your cutter at an angle? Is the ceiling so sloped that you can't cut it straight and cover any step with the silicone?

I measure the tile at each end and take off the tile gap plus 1mm I.e 4mm.

Tile = 8mm

Ceramic

400x300

Ceiling is not flat, probably tapers from one end to the other difference by about 40mm

I guess I can put it in the cutter, but how do I hold it steady so that I can scribe? These tile cutters only seem to work for perfectly straight cuts only

Thanks guys I used pretty much all your methods, flipping the tile, measure, etc, it was a confidence issue with me, once I did the first two I did the rest easily.

Adam I use a TileMate bought years ago from toppstiles. Also I'm sure an angle grinder with diamond blade where necessary :)

I will probably have a question about tile trim when I reach the corners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back