Scuff marks left by chair legs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an engineered floor coated with Osmo hardwax oil and a few days ago someone moved a large sofa across it. There are now a couple of beautiful scuff marks which run the length of the room and I'd like some advice on the best way way to remove these.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try a light sand and re-oil if you have any of the original oil.

If they are rubber scuffs they should just rub off but assuming not or you wouldn't be posting!

Otherwise it may unfortunately need an entire re-sand and retreating with oil.

This is a job that can be undertaken by the DIYer and you just need to rend a belt sander from your local plant hire and take 1mm or so off the floor and then retreat.

Be careful though as with an engineered wood floor you normally only have 5 - 7mm of real wood and do not want to go through that or it needs replacing!

Hope this helps.

P.s. Get some soft pads to stick onto the bottom of the sofa feet!

Be careful though as with an engineered wood floor you normally only have 5 - 7mm of real wood and do not want to go through that or it needs replacing!
Even a heavy sanding (with professional sanding equipment) will only take off 1 - 1.5mm, you really can't go through the solid top layer of decent wood-engineered that quickly!

Plus, in our experience, it is hardly ever needed to resand a floor that soon or that often.

Depends how many times it has been sanded before of course at to whether 1.5mm will cause trouble. Probably has never been done but you have to be wary.

Not something you want to make a habit of doing each year!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestions. The feet of the sofa are square wooden blocks about 3” across. I have stuck felt pads on the centre of these and whenever I moved the sofa myself there was no problem. I was away for a few days and someone else moved the sofa. I suspect the sofa was grabbed from underneath at the front and was therefore angled/tilted slightly when moved, and part of the wooden block came into contact with the floor. Although, if this is how it happened I would imagine the scuff marks to be much wider than they were.

Anyway, tried some very fine wire wool and that removed the scuff marks. It also lightened the area somewhat so will have to find suitable stain match now. The floor is less than a year old so any type of sanding was a no no. I’ll make sure and cover the entire surface of the wooden leg with the felt pad so that it doesn’t happen again. This floor isn’t as tough as I thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back