Sealant on shwer traps or wastes

B

Brightonguy

I am to have a shower waste that is just a grating and an elbow under with pipe running to an inline HepVo trap in the cupboard under. The shower waste connection to the pipe will be concealed. The makers always say do not use sealant on the wastes and rely on just the washers. I have heard from plumbers that they always use sealant. on the washers.

What is the experience of the men at the coal face who do this every day? Do most of you use sealant on the washers, or another method to ensure a 100% seal?

ta.

Sponsored Links
I always use a dob of silicon sealant on both sides of the washers and fittings, as I said in another post, its belt and braces.

Thanks Bosswhite. The compression side that the waste pipe fits in. Do you leave that alone or smear the rubber compression ring with silicon?

I don't use sealant on the washers, haven't had any issues when things are properly tightened up.

Sponsored Links
when it comes to compression waste fittings I always spend that little bit more on McAlpine fittings rather than cheap ones. As long as the pipe work into the fittings is straight then I find that sealant is not required.
Just add a little silicon lubricant to the rubber seal and bob's your auntie's husband :)

Thanks fellas, I will be using McAlpine fittings. Anything less is problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back