Sink waste question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quickie. Does anyone use the 'foam' washer supplied with new sink wastes these days (goes on the inside of the sink under the chrome insert). I have always dumped it in favour of sealant but I may give it a try if anyone thinks they are good. Also does anyone fit the rubber seal on the underside of the sink without sealant? I usually put sealant on as well as the seal because of the imperfections in the porcelain but this may not be the best method. I'm open to suggestions as there is never any instructions with these things!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Does anyone use the 'foam' washer supplied with new sink wastes
I often do as Im wary of using silicone with rubber as quite often the rubber squidges out on sinks. Surprisingly the wastes I've fitted without silicone I've had no problems with.
Basin wastes I usually use silicone with plastic washers.
Many many moons ago I used to carry a piece of sheet lead and knock up a lead washer for each waste fitting making the joint up with jointing paste and putty.

What about the underside of the sink where the flatness can't be guaranteed? Would you fit the rubber seal only?

The instructions I used today showed a single rubber bath waste seal which was shaped to fit either side of the bath. They advised the use of silicon.

Sponsored Links
Oh bring back Boss White and Putty with the lead hand cut washer bossed round the bottom of the china.

What about the underside of the sink where the flatness can't be guaranteed? Would you fit the rubber seal only?
Yes and if it aint flat enough its going back to the place from whence it came

The instructions I used today showed a single rubber bath waste seal which was shaped to fit either side of the bath. They advised the use of silicon.

If MI's say use it then I use it as that was the way it was designed

Most the stuff we get is tested and designed to make sure it is fit for its purpose. CE marked and all that.
Big exception is some of the crap you get from BNFNQ FockUs and such DIY outlets. When fitting crap from these places you just have to do your best with them but I still try to keep the silicone as a last resort

I often use plumbers mate but keep it a thin layer.

I'm also toying with the idea of using liquid thread lock on central screw type bath wastes cos I've had a couple work loose recently.

Any one else had this trouble ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back