Sealed system expansion vessel question(s)

Sponsored Links
Altogether now to see many different answer we get. :LOL:

1)A slightly over sized Ex Vessel is OK? No side affects?

Big is better.

2) An undersized Ex Vessel will mean the pressure valve discahrges as not enough space for heated up water to expand into? Is that right?

Correct

3) An over charged Ex Vessel is OK as long as not pumped up way to high

Between 0.5 and 1bar pre-charge without the manual.

4) An under charged vessel will mean the pressure valve will open when the water is heated up as there is not enough expansion space for it to be accommodated? And when cooled down the system will need to be re charged up again as the pressure gauge/dial will read low due to the discharge?

If the expansion vessel is undercharged, the system pressure will rise and dump water through the prv.

5) The more pressure charge a vessel has, like 1 bar instead of 0.5 bar, then the vessel will have to be slightly bigger in size to cater for the less space for water due to extra air charge?

The size of the vessel is a percentage of the system volume, The pre-charge has to be below the system pressure for it to work.

6) 0.5 bar is OK to charge up to as the highest radiator in my house is no way near 5 metres above the vessel?! And a standard size vessel (looking in screwfix and 8 litre vessel is smallest size) is OK for my 3 bedroom house?

As above replace like for like, 8ltrs sound low.

valve on the top is the Schrader valve? under a cap. this is where the vessel is charged from with a foot pump (a car tyre foot pump with pressure gauge)!! ... is that right? :)

Sponsored Links
sorry if this sounds thickish! but what do you mean regulate the pre-charge? do you mean, check what it is ??

You 2 have been great, you obviously know your stuff and are very bright guys, but just 2 things that are a little confusing now.... I read that the pre charge has to be slightly ABOVE the system static pressure, so the charge can force the water back out when cooled? is this wrong then??

Altogether now to see many different answer we get. :LOL:

1)A slightly over sized Ex Vessel is OK? No side affects?

Big is better.

2) An undersized Ex Vessel will mean the pressure valve discahrges as not enough space for heated up water to expand into? Is that right?

Correct

3) An over charged Ex Vessel is OK as long as not pumped up way to high

Between 0.5 and 1bar pre-charge without the manual.

4) An under charged vessel will mean the pressure valve will open when the water is heated up as there is not enough expansion space for it to be accommodated? And when cooled down the system will need to be re charged up again as the pressure gauge/dial will read low due to the discharge?

If the expansion vessel is undercharged, the system pressure will rise and dump water through the prv.

5) The more pressure charge a vessel has, like 1 bar instead of 0.5 bar, then the vessel will have to be slightly bigger in size to cater for the less space for water due to extra air charge?

The size of the vessel is a percentage of the system volume, The pre-charge has to be below the system pressure for it to work.

6) 0.5 bar is OK to charge up to as the highest radiator in my house is no way near 5 metres above the vessel?! And a standard size vessel (looking in screwfix and 8 litre vessel is smallest size) is OK for my 3 bedroom house?

As above replace like for like, 8ltrs sound low.

oooh i love when you get all thecchy on me

rofl5.gif

sorry i made a mistake, my apologies. an nder charged vessel will cause the prv to open (as mentioned above) as not enough space for the heated water to go. even if happens naturally over time, same result. after the discahrge, the pressure gauge will read LOW and you will re charge the system, only for the cycle to continue. so you will then need to re charge the expansion vessel, or check to see if the rubber diaphragm has split, etc. this can be done by depressing the schraeder valve.

sorry if this sounds thickish! but what do you mean regulate the pre-charge? do you mean, check what it is ??

You 2 have been great, you obviously know your stuff and are very bright guys, but just 2 things that are a little confusing now.... I read that the pre charge has to be slightly ABOVE the system static pressure, so the charge can force the water back out when cooled? is this wrong then??

The pre-charge is slightly higher than the minimum recommended system pressure, normally around 0.4-0.5bar.

The pre-charge is slightly higher than the minimum recommended system pressure, normally around 0.4-0.5bar.

now you know better than that

so a system boiler standing at 1 bar is gonna take .5 as a precharge

behave :eek:

Here's one : when the system is filled, why doesn't the rubber membrane in the vessel be forced open fully by mains pressure??!! :p

the pre-charge should be slightly more (0.1 - 0. 3 bar etc) than the static head, so if the highest point (rad) in the system is 2 metres above the vessel, the static head is approx. 0.2 bar, so the vessel pre charge can be 0.5 bar!!

Here's one : when the system is filled, why doesn't the rubber membrane in the vessel be forced open fully by mains pressure??!! :p

the pre-charge should be slightly more (0.1 - 0. 3 bar etc) than the static head, so if the highest point (rad) in the system is 2 metres above the vessel, the static head is approx. 0.2 bar, so the vessel pre charge can be 0.5 bar!!

forget how high the rads are it dont matter

or if you so desire precharge to .5 bar

its good for the garden :D

nah, you don't need to charge to 1 bar, 0.5 bar is enough .... static head pressure!!!!!!

Pre-charge 0.5

System pressure
0.5 x 0.067
1.0 x 0.112
1.5 x 0.227
2.0 x 0.441

Pre-charge 1.0

System pressure
1.0 x 0.087
1.5 x 0.152
2.0 x 0.330

Pre-charge 1.5

System pressure
1.5 x 0.125
2.0 x 0.265

Using the above chart, you can take the system pressure and x it by the system volume.

Example:-System Volume = 75 litres
Vessel Charge Pressure = 1.0 bar
Initial System Pressure = 1.5 bar

Therefor:-75 x 0.152 = 11.4 litres
Expansion Vessel Volume

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back