Sealing between tile and bathtub: Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay. So, there is a 1-inch gap between the plastic tub and the tiled wall, with peeling silicon grout... but there is a 2-inch gap between the top of the tub and the next row of tiles behind the taps. What do I seal that with? Right now there seems to be a slab of grout there, which is now mouldy and cracked. Should I just re-apply grout, or what? What can I do about those big gaps? This is the second time I've re-sealed the tub in a year, and I'm tired of water running into my kitchen every time I have a shower. Gaah! Help!

This is another in a long line of DIY disasters thanks to the previous owners of our house. They seem to have re-done the bathroom in haste, with a plastic tub and lumpy, uneven tiled walls, and now we are living with the results. Don't have the time/money to completely redo right now.

Sponsored Links
with those size gaps first thing i would do is move the bath!! you will never seal it properly with such gaps as the movement of the bath will pull it away constantly.

or cut tiles in the gaps and then silicone the new tight fitting tile/bath joint

Sponsored Links
best idea is to remove the bath then refit it correctly to close the gaps up. A 1 and 2" gap is preposterous.

The only other way i would do it, in MY HOUSE, would be remove the bath, check walls for level and flatness, if to bad i would remove the tiles and either skim the walls or re-board it, then tile it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back