Sealing effectiveness of flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you have a roof abutting a brick wall and there are not cavity trays against the abutment, how do you ensure that there are no gaps for the water to go in where the flashing is installed?. Is it always necessary to put a caulk, and if so, any particular type or technique to appply it?

Sponsored Links
cavity trays are there to collect water that has permeated the outer course of brickwork through to the cavity and bears no relevance as to how you point the flashings. this water is then deflected back out by the cavity tray via weep vents which would sit in the perp joints immediately above the flashings.

some people use mortar and some use lead caulk (lead mate) to point their flashings in, i personally use mortar. it is better to wet the area first prior to mortar pointing, but it needs to be dry and dust free for the 'lead mate' method.

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Product.asp?i=2553

But won't the mortar crack and create leaks? I suppose the lead mate must be a bit flexible like silicone

Sponsored Links
not necesarily........I use one or t`other depending on the location/type of job.......mortar looks better..to my eye lead mate IS a silicone ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back