Sealing paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont know if anyone could help but this looks like a good place to start. Basically i've painted some MDF but am looking to seal the paint so that when I use the wood it wont scratch any paint off or anything. I know that I can varnish it but I am looking for something that wont make it too shiny- just protect it with a coat of film basically.
Do you think this product would be useful (See link below)? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/z/ZINBESA/

Sponsored Links
What enviroment are you keeping the MDF in and what have you painted it with at present ?

Its going to be indoors, its just going to be used as a shelf for putting my PC keyboard on and I dont want any movement leaving marks in it. I've used an water-based satin paint which says its suitable for interior wood and metals. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Oil based satin or eggshell maybe?...or spray on stove enamel?

Dont bother varnishing it...varnish is basically the paint without the pigment...it will yellow too.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I'm definetley not going to varnish it as I know it will discolour. Do you think the spray thats in my original post would do the trick then? I'm just looking to kind of protect the paint job.

The problem with Zinsser products is they claim its this and that, and ot can do this and that, however it aint as great as they make out (though it is great at CERTAIN things). So what i am saying is you are better following Zampa advice on this one.

If you want a really good finish then try using a foam 'glosser' the rad roller type

sorry to sound so stupid.. but could you explain what that is? I googled it but only came up with different rollers. Cheers.

rad%20rolleers.jpg

Something like this but the refil is made of spongy foam

Oh right, I understand. But what would be the best thing to paint in order to get the kind of surface im looking for i.e the shiny protection effect. If that makes any sense at all. Thanks again for your help.

I'd go for oil based eggshell or satin finish

Im gonna go with that then, thanks for the handy tips. I was just wondering, would that also be waterproof? And any advice on where I could pick some up? Thanks again for all your help.

Yep..its very waterproof...often used in kitchens and bathrooms etc..you should be able to buy it anywhere, amke sure its NOT the water based verison though, which will probably say say 'quick drying low odour on the tin'

Sorry.. another quick question. I have already painted the MDF and was wondering if I would be able to pick up a clear oil based satin paint just to paint over the exisiting paint? Again, thanks.

You can buy satin varnish no problem but it will yellow fairly quick. You could always go for the water based equiv..but I dont think its quite as duarable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back