Sealing screed to garage base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brother-in-law has had to remove the screed from the garage that he built for me because it has delaminated/blown. He thinks that this happened because water crept under the screed at the garage door, i.e. where the edge of the screed is exposed to the elements. He is applying SBR between the new screed and the base but wants to know if/how he can seal the exposed edge such that water does not penetrate again.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why have you screeded a garage floor?
But after that, floor paint should keep the water out (unless there's no DPM under the floor slab- if that's the case then you're probably screwed), can't really see how SBR would help, especially if the screed goes to a feather edge

Thanks

There is a DPM so the water has not risen through the base. It was screeded because when the stupid arse laid what should have been the finished level there was a torrential cloudburst and the finished surfcae was not level when it went off. The SBR is to ensure that the screed sticks to the base (or so he tells me). The water penetrated at the feather edge. I don't really want to shell out £250+ on e.g. Watco floor paint if there is no gurantee that water will not penetrate at the edge.

Did he bond the screed before? If not it would have likely delaminated water ingress or not if it was thin. Sbr should do it. A slurry mix of sbr and cement applied to the floor then lay the screed (with a bit of sbr in it) while the slurry is still wet. Shouldn't need anything else although I'd be tempted to put a rubber strip at the threshold to stop water ingress anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nickjb.

I'm not sure if he bonded the original screed.

Neil was wondering about some kind of mastic seal but we (I!) haven't been able to find anything that looks suitable. What would you suggest by way of rubber seal?

Cheers

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back