Help - question about a still damp screeded floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone can reassure me about my still damp utility floor. I have underfloor heating and my builder has basically made a few wrong decisions.

He had the underfloor heating installed and then waited almost three weeks to screed it meaning people were trampelling all over it. The utility room was one of the first floors to be done but it was still exposed to the elements for almost four weeks bfore the roof went on!

This meant every time it rained it got wet. The roofs been on for over two weeks now and the door went on the end of last week so it is now water tight. As of yesterday I'd say about 3/4 of the floor still looked damp do you think this is normal becuase of the soeaking its got? I'm getting so paranoid it's becuase I have a leak.

To make matters worse the screeders got the floor level wrong and yesterday added another 1" to the screed to bring it to the same level as my kitchen floor.

Advice/observations appreciated

Sponsored Links
Do you know what type of sreed was used and the thickness ? If it was "pumped" in, then it's likely to be Anhydrite, if it was shoveled in then concrete or sand/cement screed. This is important !!

Either way, all screeds have there own drying time and this doesn't begin until it is sealed from the elements.

The only sure way to know when it is suitable to turn the underfloor heating on or to lay the finished flooring is to carry out a "moisture test" using a hygrometer.
Your builder should be able to arrange this if he can't do it himself.

As for the leak, i'm sure it's a simple fix but the floor should have been protected to avoid this or laid at a later date.

You can still do a pressure test to see if you have a split pipe. You can hire them. Its normal for a pressure test to be carried out before the screed is layed.

To help dry out the screed open the windows and doors to get a draft running across it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back