Sealing the gap behind an office worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The joiner I hired to do my home office left the job unfinished, resulting in
20230815_132411.jpg
a lot of snagging, one of which is a gap about 1-2mm behind the worktop.

The gap is uneven since the cut was uneven, due to a bent static wall.

Should I do anything with it like seal it with silicone or caulk? Or leave it like this? It's not the end o the world but I could see the odd post it vanishing behind it.

Sponsored Links
You could fit a wooden bead along it. Or, clear silicon?

Sponsored Links
1 to 2mm is acceptable IMHO. You should always seal worksurface to wall joints in a "community" environment - so a bead of clear silicone is all that is needed

Even if you put in an upstand there is likely to be a gap between the back of the upstand and the plasterwork, a least in places, which will need to be caulked or siliconed - and for hygeine you'll still need a bead of silicone at the junction of the worktop and the upstand... Just in case you knock a coffee over...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a decorator....

You can use silicone but when it comes to repainting the wall, you won't be able to paint over the silicone.

For a 2mm gap, I would recommend an acrylic sealant that matches the colour of the wood.

Eg https://www.solmer.co.uk/hardware/unika-colorsealant-310ml.html

Use low tack tape on the wall and run the sealant, smooth off with a damp J-cloth. It will shrink back slightly. If you are unhappy with the shrinkage, repeat the process.

1 to 2mm is acceptable IMHO. You should always seal worksurface to wall joints in a "community" environment - so a bead of clear silicone is all that is needed

Even if you put in an upstand there is likely to be a gap between the back of the upstand and the plasterwork, a least in places, which will need to be caulked or siliconed - and for hygeine you'll still need a bead of silicone at the junction of the worktop and the upstand... Just in case you knock a coffee over...
OTT for a desk

If that was the biggest item in the snag list, send me that joiner's number..
:LOL: this is not even on the list! Unfortunately he left about 30% of the work undone...
We're talking about push to open drawers without the mechanism, tambour door cabinets installed in place without the track or the door, and no accessibility to fit the track now, cabinet doors missing, side panels missing, wrongly cut shelves...

That's true. Imma go for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back