Sealing tiles to shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Fitted my shower a couple of years ago now and all has been fine until recently when water has started to leak through to the ceiling below the shower. I have narrowed this down to the joint between tiles and top of the shower tray.

The problem I had when I fitted it was that the shower tray had no lip around the edge so the tiles simply butted up to the tray with a silicone seal. Obviously this has moved slightly and started to leak.

I want to make sure this doesn't happen again in another few years so how can I get a permanent seal?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You would never permanently seal it! Wear/tear and movement over time will always require maintenance. So remove all the sealant around the shower tray and replace it with a good quality product.

Cheers
What do you mean by replace with a good quality product? We talking sealant or the tray?

Sponsored Links
look out for plastic shower sealing strip, which has a flexible rubbery fin that presses onto the top of the tray. The best stuff is fitted before the tiles.

I do always use branded products especially where sealants are concerned but whether they are quality or not I don't know. Yes I have seen those sealing strips.

Don't mind pulling bottom row of tiles off if that is whats required.

I would suggest using Dow Corning 785 , get yourself some silicone tools from SF , put a nice thick 8mm bead the whole way round. If the surface to be sealed is completely clean and grease free, you shouldn't have to do the job again for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back