Sealux: is it any good for sealing tile to a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a look at Sealux's website and the Sealux Reg 20 looks just what I need for sealing the area around my bath to the tiles (which I am about to lay).

I just wanted to know if anyone had used it and if it was any good (at the mo finding a stockist is proving a problem so not sure if there are easier alternatives that are just as good and wondering why, if it is so good, no one stocks it)

Without going into any detail (that hasn't been covered in my other post), I like that it creates a seal high above the bath line, rather than just on the bath/tile join that a silicone sealant wood.

Sponsored Links
You're having difficulty in finding any because hardly anyone wants it.

They don't want it because:
1) They don't need it - silicone alone is better.
2) It looks rubbish and gets grubby.
3) If you ever want to remove it, you can't do it easily. If you do manage to remove it, you're left with too large a gap to seal properly with silicone.
4) They generally leak in the corners.

You may have gathered that I'm not a fan of sealing strips. ;)

Cheers for that, silicone it is.

Which is the best make/ type to use and is there anything I should look out for/avoid?

Sponsored Links
Personally I try and avoid B&Q home branded stuff and anything Unibond. Most folks on here recommend Dow Corning 785 but if you go for a sanitary sealant you should be fine.
Have a look half way down the tiling sticky for advice on applying sealant if you're unsure.

I was recommended sealux by a friend of mine and all i can say is that it is tops. Exposed silicone will rot over time, When I spoke to the guy about sealux they told me that they are making inroads in teh market especially with contractors, (they are well affiliated with panel makers, tanking companies etc but average joe thinks its big job to fit and scares off the lightweight diy'ers) having said that i found it easy to install, that was 3 yra ago and no leaks and look spotless.
use a bead of silicone if you want to do it half assed ;)
i purchased from http://www.wallandfloortilesltd.co.uk
i will post a pic if anyone is interested
anyway thats my 2 cents worth
good luck
Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back