New Forum Help Search term syntax

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes you just talk yourself into a job.... go on then BAS - figure it out and document it in this thread :)

DIYnot

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get a decent answer for this it hasn't been forgotten btw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given that it explains the syntax for search terms for this sites search engine (titled "Search Query Syntax") - how on earth could it not be relevant?
Err...

Because the dog ate it?

Umm...

Because I left it on the bus?

Mmm...

Because a big boy did it and ran away?

Wibble...

Because I wasn't paying attention and conflated your link and DIYisfun's
tontopallus.gif
?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lol.
Trust you.

What sort of search syntax are you after? that one or something newer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That page has the look of the old forum - I guess I'll find out over time if the contents are applicable to the new one.

DIYnot

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a break down of what's available:

+ to require a term (which is the default, so not required unless doing something more complex than a basic search)
- to exclude a term
| meaning 'or' e.g. metal|wood
" quotes to allow phrase searching e.g. "metal pipe"

Along with the sub-forum and time filters of course.

A tip that you may not have noticed, when you enter a search phrase and view the results, your search phrase at the top of the page is a link to the search page that pre-populates the search fields with your existing search in order for you to fine tune without having to re-enter everything again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A tip that you may not have noticed, when you enter a search phrase and view the results, your search phrase at the top of the page is a link to the search page that pre-populates the search fields with your existing search in order for you to fine tune without having to re-enter everything again.
Can this be made to happen when switching from "quick search" (for want of a better term) to "advanced", i.e. from this:

screenshot_677.jpg

to this:

screenshot_678.jpg

?

I often find I fill in the quick search fields, and then think "Oh, hang on - I need Advanced if I want to order the results by date rather than the nebulous 'relevance'", but clicking "More..." blanks everything.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a break down of what's available:

+ to require a term (which is the default, so not required unless doing something more complex than a basic search)
- to exclude a term
| meaning 'or' e.g. metal|wood
" quotes to allow phrase searching e.g. "metal pipe"

Given 4 terms, let's name them A, B, X & Y, how do I search for posts containing either A or B and either X or Y?

Sponsored Links