New Forum Help Search term syntax

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you just talk yourself into a job.... go on then BAS - figure it out and document it in this thread :)

I am trying to get a decent answer for this it hasn't been forgotten btw

Sponsored Links
Given that it explains the syntax for search terms for this sites search engine (titled "Search Query Syntax") - how on earth could it not be relevant?
Err...

Because the dog ate it?

Umm...

Because I left it on the bus?

Mmm...

Because a big boy did it and ran away?

Wibble...

Because I wasn't paying attention and conflated your link and DIYisfun's
tontopallus.gif
?

lol.
Trust you.

What sort of search syntax are you after? that one or something newer?

That page has the look of the old forum - I guess I'll find out over time if the contents are applicable to the new one.

Here is a break down of what's available:

+ to require a term (which is the default, so not required unless doing something more complex than a basic search)
- to exclude a term
| meaning 'or' e.g. metal|wood
" quotes to allow phrase searching e.g. "metal pipe"

Along with the sub-forum and time filters of course.

A tip that you may not have noticed, when you enter a search phrase and view the results, your search phrase at the top of the page is a link to the search page that pre-populates the search fields with your existing search in order for you to fine tune without having to re-enter everything again.

A tip that you may not have noticed, when you enter a search phrase and view the results, your search phrase at the top of the page is a link to the search page that pre-populates the search fields with your existing search in order for you to fine tune without having to re-enter everything again.
Can this be made to happen when switching from "quick search" (for want of a better term) to "advanced", i.e. from this:

screenshot_677.jpg

to this:

screenshot_678.jpg

?

I often find I fill in the quick search fields, and then think "Oh, hang on - I need Advanced if I want to order the results by date rather than the nebulous 'relevance'", but clicking "More..." blanks everything.

Here is a break down of what's available:

+ to require a term (which is the default, so not required unless doing something more complex than a basic search)
- to exclude a term
| meaning 'or' e.g. metal|wood
" quotes to allow phrase searching e.g. "metal pipe"

Given 4 terms, let's name them A, B, X & Y, how do I search for posts containing either A or B and either X or Y?

Sponsored Links
Back