Seasonal Worker Caravan Exemption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From the caravan act: "Subject to the provisions of paragraph 13 of this Schedule, a site licence shall not be required for the use of land as a caravan site for the accommodation during a particular season of a person or persons employed on land in the same occupation, being land used for the purposes of forestry (including afforestation)."

I wish to make seasonal use of a caravan for accommodation while undertaking forestry work. As this work would occur during the winter, a static caravan would be my preference. My question is, am I required to remove the caravan each year, or is it acceptable to only use the caravan during the season?

Sponsored Links
I see nothing there to define 'particular season'. Unless that wording is defined/clarified elsewhere in the legislation, who's to say that a season couldn't be some arbitrary length of time, e.g. 365 days?

I think a season is usually considered to be one of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, and there are official (nominal) dates for each.

Are you "employed?" on the land? Or a tenant or owner?

Last edited:
Why not contact the local authority for clarification?

Sponsored Links
I see nothing there to define 'particular season'. Unless that wording is defined/clarified elsewhere in the legislation, who's to say that a season couldn't be some arbitrary length of time, e.g. 365 days?

Apparently, there is no definition of length, except 'less than a year'.

Are you "employed?" on the land? Or a tenant or owner?

I would be both a self-employed forestry worker and owner of the land.

Why not contact the local authority for clarification?

This is currently hypothetical - I'm in a position to buy 5 acres and have always wanted to manage a woodland, but my partner's work comes with a house and moves around the country, so I want the opportunity to have my own land-based business. I wouldn't be able to afford seasonal accommodation or afford to move a static caravan a couple of times a year (and a small trailer caravan would be too much of a sacrifice in comfort (coppicing is winter work).

Essentially I need to know if it's fine to 'store' the caravan on the land while it is not being used for legitimate seasonal work.

I would be registered for everything at a bricks and mortar house tied to my partner's work, so it would be above aboard and definitely seasonal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back