second consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of having a kitchen built. I need to run a wire from the existing CU to a smaller new CU the other side of the house. The wire needs to be 13 metres max. With about 1m travelling through an insulated wall and the rest under floor boards. What type of cable should I use? 10mm, tails etc

What size mcb would I need in the original Consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
Dunno.

What are you planning to run from this new CU?

Just a couple of sockets and lights, or a big cooker, dishwasher, washer, sockets, loads of lights, fridge, kettle, toaster, electric hob, double oven, extractor, potting kiln, LINAC machine.....etc?

I'd opt for 10 or 16mm² SWA. Because I like to do things belt n braces. Twin and earth would probably be adequate.

Protect the submain with a 50 amp MCB at source.

This is generic advice for submains.

Of course, it largely depends on what this new CU will be running. A kiln? LINAC? 3 electric showers? Your neighbours house? ;)

It'll be running
1.) one lighting circuit with 3 bulbs and about 10 low wattage spot lights.
2.) Double oven
3.) dishwasher
4,) Tumble dryer
5.) washing machine
6.) Amercian style fridge
7.) Telly
8.) kettle
9.)heating timer
10.) pump for underfloor heating

plus usual toaster, microwaves, radio etc

Sponsored Links
I'm with Steve on this one, would go with 16mm SWA, better to go too big than too small. If you wanted to use anything smaller i would find out the power requirements for each item and post em, that way you can work out the exact (or close enough) size of cable needed.

Steve: Not a cert saprk (yet) but i thought submains should run from Henley block splitting the supply not from an MCB in the main CU?

Regards
Jambo

Steve is not yet a spark either ;)

There is no problem with taking the submains out of the existing CU, providning it has sufficient capacity, and the apropriate MCB is available for that particular brand of CU.

If you were to take the new supply from a henley block then you would need to have a switchfuse local to the incommer to protect the submain cable. You must not rely on the suppliers cutout fuse for this.

You may also have to install a henley block to use this method.

Personally I would install a 16.0mm² split con to supply the submains with a 63A supply.

Soz if highjacking but how would i ......

Mod 6

You realised you were highjacking then. Start a new thread if you want to ask a different qustion.

Steve is not yet a spark either ;)
What do you mean, YET :LOL:

Personally I would install a 16.0mm² split con to supply the submains with a 63A supply.
You would. :LOL:

It sounds like the submain will be running the kitchen. So I'd go with 16mm cable (whatever type you decide) and a 50 amp MCB in the main CU. This way it can be upgraded in the future when SWMBO wants a hot tub in the garden or a pottery business (kiln) in the shed. :LOL:

I've been given 20m of 10mm armoured cable. Will this not do or should I get some 16mm armoured cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back