secondary glazing... condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive a late victorian house with sash windows that we really dont want to have to ditch... so bought some insulated glass (its actually 6mm double glazing - vacuum sealed to get v.low u value, imported from japan beleive it or not) and have set it into the sash rebates 'lift out' style. works nicely in terms of reducing drafts and heat loss but now i have real bad condensation. particularly bad upstairs on windows with radiator underneath so i guess whats happening is the gap between ig and the sash is warming up then forming consensation (on inside of sash glass) which takes alot longer to clear up as theres little/no air circulating. any ideas? i thought i might try fitting a piv unit in the landing to improve ventilation but need to be convinced it would make some difference before spending another £300. regards.

Sponsored Links
With secondary glazing, the way to avoid condensation is to seal the room side as tightly as you can, but allow a slight breathing gap on the outside. This is because the air inside the house is relatively warm and moist, and the air outside is relatively cold and dry.

With old sashes I expect the outer windows are not very tight, so you need to work on sealing the inside pane.

digsy99

Was just wondering where you got the 6mm DG windows from have been looking for a while to no joy?
:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back