Secure bottom riser to floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm getting a new carpet fitted and realised the bottom riser of the stairs (going from the floor of the hallway up to the first step) is loose at one side.

Can someone help me with how to secure this?
I've attached an image that I had on my phone - the pic wasn't taken for the staircase so hard to see it but you'll see the part circled where the issue is.
Thanks!

Attachments

• stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Ideally when the stairs are installed you'd fix a block of timber to the floor, position the stairs then fix through the front of the bottom riser into the block (with a covering veneer being added over the top if required).

In your case that is not possible, but as you are carpeting just lift the carpet and face fix 2 or 3 angle braces to the front of the riser and down to the floor and recover with the carpet. You may need to trim the underlay a little to accommodate this (and hide the brackets). Something like Screwfix #15790 64 x 64 x 16.5 angle braces should be sufficient, used with 4.0 x 25 to 30mm screws into the riser and floor (if wood)

Not pretty, but effective and won't be seen

Ideally when the stairs are installed you'd fix a block of timber to the floor, position the stairs then fix through the front of the bottom riser into the block (with a covering veneer being added over the top if required).

In your case that is not possible, but as you are carpeting just lift the carpet and face fix 2 or 3 angle braces to the front of the riser and down to the floor and recover with the carpet. You may need to trim the underlay a little to accommodate this (and hide the brackets). Something like Screwfix #15790 64 x 64 x 16.5 angle braces should be sufficient, used with 4.0 x 25 to 30mm screws into the riser and floor (if wood)

Not pretty, but effective and won't be seen
That's great thank you! As you say - not pretty but effective and a good time to do it when new carpet and underlay will be going down. Super, thanks you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back