Secure Meter Cupboard access?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We run a small hotel, 3 phase supply

Having had someone in to do an updated H&S report and Fire risk assessment, both highlight the unlocked cupboard door which gives access to the electric meter / main consumer unit which is in a public area. It's a regular full size door giving access.

The meter is a smart meters. Are we allowed to secure the door with a lock? It seems obvious now its pointed out that a child or malicious person could just open it to poke around and how it could be dangerous.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any reason why that wouldn't be OK. Worth keeping a key somewhere memorable, just in case you ever need to kill the power in a hurry, though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I was just thinking if the supply / meter company needed access they wouldn't moan having to wait for access / reschedule, although since the smart meter install I don't think we've had anyone for a few years

I would suggest a hasp and padlock. If you use a combination lock there are no keys to lose, and the combination can be recorded in the day book and in a text file on the main server. Put a notice on the door "CAUTION 400/230V AC. Unauthorised Access Prohibited".

Notify your supplier of who holds the key and contact details. They will add it to the address for that mpan and should pass them to any of their staff who may need access.
No guarantee but it may work.

Fit something like this, contractors carry keys to fit.

1660955963081.png

Fit something like this, contractors carry keys to fit.
So does half the world (I have several) - and, in any event, pliers or all sorts of other tools can operate them. I suppose they serve to prevent 'casual'access (e.g. by inquisitive children etc.) but would provide only a trivial amount of protection against the "malicious person" mentioned in the OP.

Kind Regards, John

I would fit a mechanical code lock. set to need five or six digits. Cheap as chips and they can just replace a normal door handle, secure enough for bank internal doors and no keys needed, or to go missing. I use one on the the side entry door of my garage, which is outside, because I got fed up of forgetting to take the key with me.

If necessary, the code can be changed in just a few minutes.

So does half the world (I have several) - and, in any event, pliers or all sorts of other tools can operate them. I suppose they serve to prevent 'casual'access (e.g. by inquisitive children etc.) but would provide only a trivial amount of protection against the "malicious person" mentioned in the OP.

Kind Regards, John
It says tool or key, so it complies, what ever you put some one who really wants access can get in, but be it a key, screwdriver, or pliers, the simple lock will comply.

Thanks, I was just thinking if the supply / meter company needed access they wouldn't moan having to wait for access / reschedule, although since the smart meter install I don't think we've had anyone for a few years

That shouldn't be a problem in reality, while they do have a right of access, and other contratcors you appoint may need access in order to carry out the jobs you have brought them in for. As long as its just a case of asking at the main desk and signing out a key, it'll not be a problem. its only a problem if you ask and get a response like.

"Oh Jim has that key on his bunch, but he's out the country on holiday for two weeks"
"Its in this massive Key safe/Jar but I haven't a clue which one. Do you know what it looks like?"
"I don't think the last contractor brought it back"
"I can't give you that, accounts have stored their confidential files in there and don't want anyone going in there" (that would also be an issue for the FRA!)

Kind Regards, John
Bear in mind the door is currently not secured and to date has not caused problems.

Such a lock is an extremely standard device on electrical cupboards and cabinets.

As a contractor I find them (or similar but with different shapes) frequently being used for such a purpose. The big advantage of the three square is meter readers use them all day long.

Another option in a hotel is of course to use a similar lock to the rooms and the pass key will...

Out of interest, is the 3 phase in a public area? Or a staff only area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back