Securing a plastic shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We've just moved house, and in doing so I have inherited a large plastic shed. Its a terrific space and I can get all my gardening stuff in it; problem is that in comparison to my previous, wooden shed it's woefully insecure. The doors are secured in the middle by a single padlock, but because of the poor quality of the latch mechanism top and bottom and the relatively flimsy plastic construction, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to bypass the lock by simply prising the top edge of the door away from the frame, pulling hard, and wrenching the thing open.

I need to think of a way of increasing the strength of the doors, perhaps with some kind of wooden frame, but I'm struggling for a solution. I'm not looking to make it absolutely thief-proof because I know this is impossible; I just want to do my best to deter any opportunists.

Any sensible suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
A steel frame that is bolted (or take some dimensions to a fabricator and get it welded. Nice bit of angle iron with a cross brace, with some angle iron at the hinge and latch side. Your current hinges will be inadequate if they're only designed for weight of the the current plastic door. Once you have your frame, rivet or bolt to the door.

Nozzle

I'm assuming you mean that I should put this metal construction on the inside of the shed, and secure it to the plastic frame with nuts and bolts? I did consider fixing a wooden frame inside the shed to secure the doors, but metal of course would be more robust. Certainly food for thought, and thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back